Author Topic: Bots' code  (Read 13973 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bots' code
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 06:38:16 PM »
Bots' code is on the FTP.

Everyone go check it out, I guess  

He claims its both stable and addresses the issue of Mueller's Ratchet via "radiation", and, um, well, he's got the robot placement code in there, that's good  

Thats right people, If you have vb go ahead and try to make heads and tails of it. All you need to do is press the run button. I am interested in feedback...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am already beggining to feel like: "Do people actualy see this thread? Why they dont respond?" come on people say somthing...

(note: sorry the settings files in my progtam is not backwords or forwards compatible)
(but you can desable this two or four line temporarly:

'even? the stuff by bau
'   For t = 0 To maxsp
  '  If Not EOF(1) Then Input #1, specie(t).PosCi 'Circuler Plasment
  '  If Not EOF(1) Then Input #1, specie(t).PosRe 'Regenerate with defult position
  '  Next

then enable them after you "resave" the settings.)

(hopefull that makes num 3 times as guilty for not moving the "stuff by bau" below the mutations save rotine himself, just because I maid a simple mistake it does not mean you have to prove it to me num)

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Bots' code
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
Numsgil, think it is worth making db3 settings compatible with db2? Personally, I am beginning to hate the whole db2 settings scheme enough to stop backwards compatibility, time to replace it all with just a single file.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 05:27:31 PM »
Actually it is more a community question:

Anyone got any settings files that are worth saving? (Including Numsgil)

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »
So in summery,

Is it worth to port entire specific settings files when there are major revisions in a program like Darwinbots. 2. What settings?

Sorry Spike, this post is borderline productive post, I just broke yet another of my little rules :P

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
Oh god, I only read half way down, but good god bot. Stop being so miserable, I don't want to reprogram your mind to stop being miserable manually.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
I'm not sure why we're doing this in this old thread, but:

1.  It's maybe not critical to keep the backwards compatibility of the settings file, but it's a definite plus.  Anything that reduces the pain of upgrading for an end user is worth it.  There's no point in inconveniencing multiple end users to make development easier.

2.  DB3 and DB2 are going to be so different in how they fundamentally work that trying to make the settings apply from one to another isn't practical.  Maybe 1 in 10 settings from DB2 will apply to DB3.  Still, we can try and make them compatible and figure out some sort of upgrader down the road, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

3.  If you really hate the current DB2 scheme (why?), you could replace it with a new one, and just have an upgrade path for any settings files incoming from an old version that will put it in to a format compatible with the new version.  But that's a large change with lots of possibility to completely screw everything up unless you're very aggressive at testing it.  Is it worth it?  What's the gain of changing it?  And does it outweigh the risk of breaking things?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
Well first, I did lose trust in the sustainability of the forum to begin with a long time ago, I just hoped for the best and expected the worst.
Second, I am seriously getting sick of the constant attack patterns. An interface is important to anything.
Third, the only thing I really (hate proposed as a question) about your current DB3 scheme mods is the lack of sound, the complete braking of sexual reproduction, and the need to distance yourself from somewhat controlled velocity. Be it fully acceleration based or completely static. Your choice.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »
DB2 works well on a lot of bot functions, and interface layout, but on actuall functionality (E.g. IM and changing arena) its fatally flawed. It also suffers on the problem that its very 1 dimensional to identifying stuff outside of you, you have eyes, you can see nothing, a shape (of which you can do nothing to react to) or see an edible thing, and its eyes. Mhm, this is the major limiting factor, no nutrient fluxs, no smell, no sound (Though sound is less nessisary than smell/nutrition) and food then in turn, along with anything else is forced down that thin corridor of options.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »
you can see nothing, a shape (of which you can do nothing to react to)

... Actually you can react to shapes just fine if you have "Robots can see shapes" option enabled in the shape options under "Add shape."

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »
you can see nothing, a shape (of which you can do nothing to react to)

... Actually you can react to shapes just fine if you have "Robots can see shapes" option enabled in the shape options under "Add shape."
I sounded very poetic in there, and im not to sure what I mean, but I believe I meant being able to interact with shapes more indepth?