Author Topic: If anyone is familiar with Swedish schools...  (Read 11163 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
If anyone is familiar with Swedish schools...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 09:31:17 PM »
I like my temperature in Ferenhiet for weather.  Everything else I prefer metric.

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 11:08:12 PM »
Actualy Griz I am biggining to like miles too , It is a unit more based on how much energy you spend travaling. A good aproximation will be a intermidiate wimp gets tierd after walking one mile, kinda puts distance into prespective.
well ...
it takes a real wimp to get tired after walking just one click (km) ;)
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 11:17:35 PM »
I like my temperature in Ferenhiet for weather.  Everything else I prefer metric.
yeah, me too ...
but only because I grew up with it and no matter how much time I have
spent up in canada in the winter ... I just can't get a 'feel' for it ...
although it makes much more sense to think of water existing as a liquid
from 0 to 100.
the only way I can get out of my own way seems to be by thinking about
the negative values as degrees of frost.
then my 'body' knows.
of course when it's -40 ... who cares if it's F or C? ;)

and then there's that pesky british billion! lol
不知
~griz~
[/color]
[/color]

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 11:35:02 PM »
I know when it's -44 degrees outside, the equivelance of F and C is going to be the furthest thing from my mind.

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 11:43:22 PM »
I know when it's -44 degrees outside, the equivelance of F and C is going to be the furthest thing from my mind.
well ... at -40 you don't have to think about it ... -40C is -40F ;)

coldest I've ever seen was -44F ...
stepped out of the dorm at 7am to go to class ...
and noticed my breath freezing in midair and falling on my shoes!
cut that class and went back inside. ;)
不知
~griz~
[/color]
[/color]

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 11:47:00 PM »
Thought is was -44, checked it out, and I'm wrong.

Lol, it's been too long since I studied the conversion stuff.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 01:45:34 AM »
miles/foot/inch/pound/psi are all lame units who are doomed to die and when ever they die out its to late.
testlund, a mil=10 kilometers, you just say 10 kilometers
and PY how can you hate such lovly units? its so much better than *beep*ing imperial units
and celcius is also gonna win mohahaha, ferenheit is doomed, mohahaha
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:47:00 AM by Zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 06:25:28 AM »
Great idea! Let's have a passionate fight over which system to use!  <_<

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 08:35:45 AM »
testlund, a mil=10 kilometers, you just say 10 kilometers....
I just thought that the swedish word 'mil' must be translated to 'mile', just that a mile is considered to be of different length depending on what country you live in. I whould like to say that a swedish mile is 10 kilometres. If you think about where the words originate they are from the north-german language, so maybe once a 'mil' and a 'mile' was the same thing.  :)
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 08:52:37 AM »
just that a mile is considered to be of different length depending on what country you live in
Hadn't heard of that.  :blink:

I always considered a mile to be precisely 5280 feet no matter where you live.

My views on Metric vs. imperial are kind of mixed. In everyday life I think in miles, feet, inches and degrees F but when I switch to scientific mode I work in SI units (metric)
I just can't visualize a kilometer without converting it to miles first and a summer day with a temperature of 35 celcius means about as much to me as a distance of 235 gloobles. It is an utterly alien concept.
Scientific usage of metric measurements is all about calculations, laws and stuff. It obviously works best that way for those things but from the point of actually visualizing what it means in the real world, I always have to convert back to imperial first, at least with larger units anyway. Milimeters make perfect sense to me.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »
why is it so hard? PY? a mile is 1,6km. man I hate imperial units so much, I hate them almost as bad as I hate roy, hes a classmate and his hated by everyone in the class.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2005, 11:21:23 AM »
Did I say I couldn't convert them?

All I said was I can' visualize kms or celcius unless I convert them first.

If I were to tell you that a point A is 375,000 Sqibblies from point B Could you visualize the distance?
What if I tell you that the temperature here yesterday was 6197 degrees on the Spufendicular scale?

What if I tell you that a Squibbly is equal to 3.0475 miles. Does that help? or do you need to convert to km first before it means anything to you?

How about if one degree on the Spufendicular scale is equal to 320 degrees Farenheit and that zero on the Spufendicular scale is the equivalent of 62.63438 degrees F

If you had grown up thinking in Squibblies and Spufendiculars then these units would make sense to you. They are perfectly valid units. Do you think such a person would have an instinctive feel for the distance represented by some unit called a kilometer or a temperature of 35 degrees C.

To me a kilometer means absolutely nothing and celcius is just something I use to calculate stuff in a lab, just like I use Angstrom units to calculate the size of an atom or Barns units to measure the thermal cross section of a nuclear reaction. (I can't visualize them either. can you?)
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 11:27:43 AM »
didnt you say you were from england?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 11:45:27 AM »
Yup.

England where nothing even remotely looking like metric had ever been heard of till the mid 70's

I grew up with Pounds, shillings and pennies as the local currency.

12 pennies to a shilling and 12 shillings to a pound.
Decimal? What the F*&^% is decimal supposed to mean? That's what most of the population thought when they converted to the new monetary system. (somewhere around 1970. Can't remember the exact year as I was about 6)

Overnight, prices trippled, quadrupled in some cases.

A chocolate bar that used to cost Threpence (3 pennies) in the old system suddenly cost 5p in the new system.

5p is the equivalent of a shilling in the old system and as a shilling = 12 pennies, this is a four fold increase.

It was way too complicated for many people to convert easily so the unscrupulous ones who could simply ripped everybody off.

This process severely f*&^ed up my childhood and the economy of England took years to recover.

Incidentally, England still uses miles and although the official unit of weight is the kilogram, you would be hard pushed to find a single marhet trader who doesn't sell meat, fish and veg by the pound. I don't believe this will ever change because the English are stubborn bastards.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 11:45:43 AM by PurpleYouko »
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »
yeah then it might be a problem, england where for a long time one of the stupidiest countries in europe untile they changed to SI units. But still its superior, if it werent why would science else use it? much much better