Author Topic: Fluid  (Read 13773 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 03:48:42 PM »
I can't seem to find a list of polar liquids...

I think HydroChloric whatever is a polar molecule.  H-Cl

The trick is to find a polar liquid that would likely be formed in large amounts under specific conditions (say, a planet's formation).  That narrows the list considerably.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 08:37:23 AM »
thats a one aswell. those who contain hydrogen is likly to form. and nitrogen should be more than oxygen cause its lighter, but hydrogenflouride is better than chlordide but it should be less of it.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 08:46:45 AM »
The trouble with Hydrogen Fluoride (HF) is that is is highly reactive. It would utterly destroy a cell membane in seconds.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 10:10:35 AM »
on a planet where FH is liquid dont you think life would adept its chemicals to not react with it if it didnt "want" it to happen? anyhow I found a list of how polar the molecules are:
HF 1,91
HCl 1,05
HBr 0,8
HI0,42
H2O 1,84
H2O2 2,12
NH3 1,48
SO2 1,63
NO 0,16
NO2 0,4
CO 0,1
CH3OH 1,7
this is in debyes
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 10:22:35 AM »
Trouble is that HF reacts with EVERYTHING

I use it to convert samples of organic tissue, rock, glass, quartz, whatever into liquid form for chemical analysis.

About the only thing it doesn't destroy is Zircon crystals

If you can come up with a way that life could evolve inside a solid zircon crystal then maybe it could work but again the trouble is that although these crystals could initially form as insoluble Zirconium Fluoride, no other chemicals in the chemical soup would be able to leave solution in order to form any viable molecules.
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 10:58:46 AM »
well then its a problem. Why is it so reactive?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 11:41:35 AM »
HF in solution (possibly 100% since it is a liquid at normal <19C temperatures) is technically defined as a weak acid.
This definition does not mean what you might think though. A weak acid is one which ionically dissociated in an aqueous medium. HCl and HBr are other weak acids while things like Nitric acid (HNO3) and Sulphuric acid (H2SO4) are considered strong acids.

What make HF so corrosive is not its acidity but is actually the fact that the F- anion is the most electronegative thing known to science. (electronegativity relates to its afinity for electrons) In this state the Fluorine atom has an extra electron which it desperately wants to lose to form a bond with another atom.

Usually F- will prefer to make an ionic bond (salt) with H+ or another electropositive element like Sodium or Potassium but hese bonds are (unfortunately for life forms) transitory. They exist as an equilibrium HF <--> H+ + F-
This means that until the F- anion finds a permanent home in a covalent bond, it just keeps moving around displacing other bonds. Basically it is a wrecking ball that breaks up other molecules. Once it does find a permanent home (usually attached to a carbon atom in place of some useful bond that used to be there or in a very strong ionic bond with one of the rare earth elements) it increases the concentration of free protons in the solution because H+ and F- are no longer in equilibrium.
So as Fluorine is used up, the acidity of the solution also goes up (pH goes down). Now the protons move in and begin reacting with the broken molecules.

The overall result of any object in HF is that you end up with a solution of metallic fluorides and all the Carbon originally present in the object converts to CO2 gas

HF facts

HF is the only solvent known to directly attack glass.

An HF burn on your skin only needs to to be over a 10 square cm area to be fatal.

HF can kill without any visible burn at all on the skin.

F- anions preferentially attack metals. They are able to travel though intact skin and will strip the Calcium from your bones. The H+ is the part that will destroy tissue.

HF gas (>19C) is the most corrosive gas known to science.

Don't mess with HF unless you are highly trained to do so.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:43:34 AM by PurpleYouko »
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 11:57:31 AM »
So you're saying I should get this looked at?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »
Nahh! I shouldn't bother. Your foot is going to drop off either way. It could also be too late to save your life already so you should just do your best to ignore the excruciating agony and work on DarwinBots while you still have the time.  :D
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 01:36:51 PM »
discusting nums, plz dont but those ugly pics on the forum

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »
But if you do decide to, please note that at the bottom of the forum you will now find a direct link to image shack so that you can upload your own piccies to their free hosting site then copy the link over to your post. Makes for very fast loading of pictures.   :D  :D  :D
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 03:03:41 PM »
................ .

PY, its a nice little HTML, but you included it sloppy, the "host it" button ends up being cut of by the invison "hosted by" thingy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 03:07:39 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 03:36:14 PM »
Haha, that's awesome.  Gotta love metatags.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 05:30:39 PM »
................ .

PY, its a nice little HTML, but you included it sloppy, the "host it" button ends up being cut of by the invison "hosted by" thingy.
I didn't write the HTML so don't blame me for the sloppy button. :(
The button looks exactly the same their own site. We are just linking into it. I haven't modified anything in the code.

It looks absolutely perfect in Mozilla firefox anyway.  :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 05:31:52 PM by PurpleYouko »
and those who don't

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Fluid
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 05:50:18 PM »
It looks absolutely perfect in Mozilla firefox anyway
sure does.

ah good ... another firefoxer ;)
take back the web!!!
I imagine you have played at reconfiguring yours a bit ...
seems like there's a lot one can do.
I haven't done much but add an extension or two ...
but I certainly do like it.

~griz~
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]