Author Topic: Cell Wall/ Cellulose / Vacuole / Chloroplast  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Cell Wall/ Cellulose / Vacuole / Chloroplast
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 11:21:58 AM »
hu?
A.D.D. = attention deficit disorder ...
come'on admit it...
all us geeks got it.
but I don't consider it neccessarily a disorder ...
actually, it's essential for multitasking ...
as long as one doesn't get too carried away. ;)

~griz~
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:24:11 AM by Griz »
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 11:42:01 AM »
Guess we had better break out the Ritalin then.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 11:54:31 AM »
Ritalin is what let's me work on Darwinbots for 4 hours without getting distracted.  Great stuff.   :lol:

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 12:53:59 PM »
I dont have ADD, and I know it. But I have something else wich einstein/newton/beethoven had. HA
but I seemn to have prooblem getting air, cause you look for air before uve even finished a sentence, as you said before.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 12:55:36 PM by Zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline ollj

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 01:49:58 PM »
A simple answere is energy management:

Photosynthesis does not deliver enough energy for the cell that does photosynthesis to move, its barely enough energy to reproduce self, and it does not have to move (only its childrens have to move away from the parent, generally done by wind).
The sun is not always shining, but storing energy is easier than searching sunnier places, that are plopably out of reach anyways!!!

Animals that eat many cells that do photosynthesis can get enough energy for movement, and they have to move to find enough food because it only grows were they are not eating! They are less dependant on dark or dry periods and more flexible in finding energy sources.

Animals that eat animals can get even more energy and have to move even more and are even more flexible (most can still eat plants, too)...

The suns energy at one place at first gets used by cells that do not move. Than it gets used by slowly moving cells that collect that stored energy from a few places. Than it gets used by faster moving cells that collect the stroed energy from a few slowly moving cells...

Animals do not develop solar collectors because eating plants is just easier and if an animal could do photosynthises its ability to move would be ambiguous like a whales foot.

There are also lithorve bacteria eating rocks and sand, they move really slowly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 01:54:58 PM by ollj »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 11:29:33 PM »
I hadn't looked at it from the food web/pyramid energy levels perspective before.  That's rather interesting...

Course, while that applies to macroscopic animals, I think that sort of reasoning breaks down at the protist level.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:30:24 PM by Numsgil »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 09:25:10 AM »
And then there is the case of certain marine animals who have symbiotic Alga called zoozanthellae.

Take this nudibranch for example

You can read more about it Here

Then there are the corals which derive most, if not all their energy from sugars which their zozanthellae provide. Admitedly they don't move about a whole lot.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D