Author Topic: Distributed Programming  (Read 9185 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« on: October 08, 2005, 10:25:34 PM »
The way I see it, there are two theoretical ways to have Darwinbots operate cross-computers:

1.  Additional computers (nodes) means more virtual space for the bots.
2.  Additional computers (nodes) means more porcessing power(speed) for the simulation.

1 is relatively easy.  We already have it.  What about 2?  Has anyone studied distributed programming at all?  Can Darwinbots even be used in such a way?

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:09:46 AM »
sounds sweet, no I havent read about it, db can probebly be it, seti have it like that
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 02:17:56 AM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 02:27:38 PM »
Did some research, and problems must be "parallelizable" to really get computational increase.  That is, the problem must be able to be broken into steps that aren't dependant on each other.

Cycles taken as a whole are not parallelizable.  But the big computational things (like what bot can see what bot) are.

So there are limits to the increase in computational speed you could get with a cluster, but you could get some.  Having two computers working together would probably have significant increase.  Could also have the computational load on each computer diminish, so have a fast simulation happening without causing alot of slowdown on the individual computers.

I'll look into it after I move some code into C/C++  (more on that in another topic).

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 07:53:51 PM »
Additional computers (nodes) means more porcessing power(speed) for the simulation.

You know not too long back I was thinking build a poor mans super computer on the enterent. Its a Per-to-per super computer. Everyone can have a bite out of the virtual super computer witch is created from reguler computers. People with faster computers can contribute to start the thing going. The only problem with it is: A prossesor works  2ghz 64bit this days , an enterent connection on avrage is 128k per seocond. Writing to a hard drive is faster then downloading, were is the logic here?

Btw:

What is going on in the  exsisting enterent sharing stuff db has right now? Any news? Cool simulations? I have a feeling people don't use it.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:59:56 PM »
And thus we see that you haven't researched anything at all ;)

Wikipeida -> Beowulf Cluster.

The DB FTP is down since I don't have internet at the moment.  What I need to do is create an autoload at start, run in idle mode version of DB that can be run automatically so the user doesn't have to think about it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 09:00:46 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:20:06 PM »
Anyone interested in running there windows science stuff faster should try:

http://www.cnsi.ucla.edu/beowulf/access/default.htm

Its eather a dream come true, or only elusions.

That includes DB as well,

It is too good to be true, you need to get a licence to use this stuff.

Ah, this might work: ftp://ftp.ssh.com/pub/ssh get the new virsion. Don't know how it works or what it does yet, find out.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 09:46:41 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 09:36:42 PM »
Glad to see your paying attention.

You can't run VB projects in non-windows environments.  (Beowulf clusters are by definition linux/unix)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 10:13:57 AM »
The DB FTP is down since I don't have internet at the moment. What I need to do is create an autoload at start, run in idle mode version of DB that can be run automatically so the user doesn't have to think about it.

Why not just use a folder on the Darwinbots.com FTP site to store the files.

Even better, use the SQL server.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 12:55:33 PM »
Because the real FTP only allows one user ID and password, and isn't set up for anonymous uploading...

Some sort of database php thing would probably work, but I know little more than truly basic HTML.  I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
Maybe I am being slow but can you explain in more detail what you want? I might be able to help...

B)
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 01:54:51 PM »
This is just for uploading and downloading files for use in organism sharing.

In case you haven't used this facility in DB it allows the program to periodically log on to a database and download/upload a robot text file.

In the past this has been done by connecting a computer to an internet connection then accessing its IP address in order to move the files. Over the summer it was connected to a computer that Nums set up for this purpose. Previously Carlo had one set up in Italy but the connection was really slow.

What I would like to do is to set up a database such as SQL or maybe even Access which would sit on the Darwinbots (or some other) site and hold a bunch of DNA files. Each copy of the DB software would then act as a client and send queries to the database to either upload or download the text files. (Note: Downloading requires the removal of the file from the database or else one organism becomes many through a cloning process)

Make sense now?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 02:02:26 PM »
That shouldn't be too tough at all. It could be set to check the response to see if the upload/download has worked.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
Good, set something up and I'll work out the Darwinbots programming details.

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:39 PM »
Access has a max field size for text so are you going to post the DNA as binary or a file?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Distributed Programming
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 02:30:10 PM »
I think DB saves the organisms as .dbo (organism files).  This includes things like nrg, body, other bots (in a MB), etc.