Author Topic: Bugs in NEW 2.4!  (Read 22419 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »
Found a bug in how the Beta version processes dna. It might be just the commands: .tieval, .tieloc, .tienum, I ran out of time to test the rest of the commands. Did manage to get Tie feeding working properly with this so I know this method works for that much. (Honestly if I hadn't been trying at making this work again I never would have seen the pattern)

Here's what I found to work:

Code: [Select]
A a B store

A = stored value
B = storage location
a = "unused" value

The "a" appears to be un-used but it's hard to be sure. I had a -1 -4 .tieloc store and the buts "properly" fed on nrg.

In addition to this store doesn't appear to clear the stack properly instead the storage location could be re-used as a storage value latter on.

Strange :blink:  :wacko:

I'm praying that it's been fixed already and this is a moot point.

Oh yeah, the plants whose waste is taken appear to gain straight permanent waste. Yes it all hurts my head too :wacko:

Warning Off Topic

Who the H%$# is this "Retard" over at the wiki?!! I go to check recent changes and it looks like he messed a bunch of stuff up making Nums redo them.
 :shoot:  :pokey:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 06:01:21 PM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2005, 06:14:09 PM »
Yeah, our board got vandalized!  I don't know wether to celebrate or steel myself against worst.  I mean, for someone to spend 5 minutes to vandalize something means they care, right?

I'll have to look into the DNA code to check that everything is cleared properly.  It should be, since I just used the obvious stack operators pop and push.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2005, 10:08:50 PM »
I heard about wikipedia having these types of problems but thought it'd be awhile until we had to deal with anything like it. :blink:

Umm...wiki shutdown. Said something about exceeding maximum number of links(100).   :sad2:

Got this also:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/content/D/a/r/Darwinbots/html/WikiManual/includes/ObjectCache.php on line 409

Ahh!!! I hope this is just a really odd coincidence. :help:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:01:43 PM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2005, 11:21:07 PM »
Damn.  I hope you're right, and it's just coincidence.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2005, 12:00:11 PM »
Hello! Discovered the following in version 2.4 Alpha. First a crash that caused the following error message: 'Error. Division by zero. Saving sim in saves directory as
error.sim'.

Then I found out that lots of settings don't get saved when I try to save my settings. Don't know if it's a bug or if it just haven't been implemented. Also I found that sometimes the day/night cycles don't change as they have been set.

It also looks like the simulations all acts the same. I've tried simulations with the Triangularis bot and nomatter how many I start with allmost everyone dies until there is just a few of them left. That's what the number says anyway, though that seems like it doesn't give the right information. Most of the time I end up with a bundle of bots spinning at a fixed location while the 'Total bots' indicator only shows a few bots, like 2 or 4. Uaaaah! I want this program to work!! Sob-sob.  :(
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2005, 12:25:51 PM »
Multi-bots really don't work so well in 2.4 yet. A bunch of stuff simply isn't implemented yet and others kinda just  uh, how can I put this? Don't work!  :D

Stick with 2.36 or 2.37 to get an idea of what is possible in the game. 2.4 will kick ass when it's finished but there's a way to go yet.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »
I'm actually porting 2.4 to C++ right now, and uncovering all sorts of bugs and things that could be done better along the way.

Older bots don't work well in newer versions.  Try something safe and simple as a "does my program work at all" bot.  Animal Minimalis is a good choice.  He's in the beastiary.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »
Hello! Discovered the following in version 2.4 Alpha. First a crash that caused the following error message: 'Error. Division by zero. Saving sim in saves directory as
error.sim'.

Then I found out that lots of settings don't get saved when I try to save my settings. Don't know if it's a bug or if it just haven't been implemented. Also I found that sometimes the day/night cycles don't change as they have been set.

It also looks like the simulations all acts the same. I've tried simulations with the Triangularis bot and nomatter how many I start with allmost everyone dies until there is just a few of them left. That's what the number says anyway, though that seems like it doesn't give the right information. Most of the time I end up with a bundle of bots spinning at a fixed location while the 'Total bots' indicator only shows a few bots, like 2 or 4. Uaaaah! I want this program to work!! Sob-sob.  :(
Zip and add the error.sim as an attachment or mail it to me at Numsgil2002@yahoo.com.

Dollars to donuts you have your nrg/cycle that vegs get too high.  It's in the second panel in options.  Near the upper right hand corner.  It should be set to like 3 or 10 or something like that.  I bet you have it set to 1000000.

This is because what that value represents has changed over the development of the sim, so if you're doing 2.1 settings files, you're going to get really weird errors.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check.  Provide a screenshot if you wish that shows the second panel in options.

The settings should all save correctly if you're using 2.4.0.  If you're using 2.4.Beta, then not all will save correctly.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:42:17 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »
1000000 = The veggie got a vitamin injection until it exploded

0 = The veggie was put in a black box with distilled water.

:P
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bugs in NEW 2.4!
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2005, 05:56:29 PM »
I'll probably just make it so that the sim saves the nrg/cycle thing to another spot in the settings file.  Every new user seems to have trouble on this point.  I don't even know how many get disgusted and give up.