Author Topic: Call to Programmers  (Read 29284 times)

Offline Cyberduke

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
Well as for SVN, I am using http://tortoisesvn.net/ 1.53 and that seems to work fine. I don’t really use SVN much, so I have been getting to grips with it myself.
Just create a ‘darwinbots3’ folder then right click on it, select checkout and type/paste in the svn url and click ok.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:36:09 AM by Cyberduke »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:03 AM »
Yes, I heard of TortoiseSVN, seems to be pretty good.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
TortoiseSVN is pretty standard.  I used it for a while, but I liked the GUI for SmartSVN better.  You can use anything you want, it shouldn't matter.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Call to Programmers
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
2.  Scripts should be fleshed out.  I haven't given this as much thought as the graphs, but basically anything the user can do, given a reason for doing so, the program should be able to do automatically.  This includes things like changing physics constants over time or based on population levels, etc.

Ideally, this would become another kind of language that's similar to the DNA language.  Complex enough to perform some really amazing simulations.
Cool, I had the same idea but I was going to wait for DB3 to suggest it, because it is kinda a lot of work.

We can also add "LFO" based on cycles. Check out how FLStudio uses LFO.

1.  I want somebody to start working on some sweet ass graphs.  It doesn't sound exciting, but I think some cool graphs would totally kick the program up a notch, and it'd be a good, relatively safe way for someone to get their feet wet, so to speak.

For graphs I'd like the user to be able to set the x and y axis from a list of things.  So you can do mutations per DNA length.  Total mutations per cycle, etc.  Mutations per bot nrg, etc.

I'd like the user to be able to export data in a form that can be read into and manipulated by Excel.

I'd like the user to be able to toggle between bar graphs, line graphs, point plots, and any other form you can think of.

I'd like the user to be able to perform regression analysis on the data inside DB.  Create best fit curves/lines/parabolas/what have you.  Also any other statistics observations anyone can think of.  Perhaps mean and variance/standard deviation analysis.

I want these graphs to look superb.  Excel quality.  The current ones look ameteur.

I want these graphs to be scalable.  So you don't have to wait 1000 cycles to see any lines being drawn in your graph at all.

I want these to be the smoothest, most user friendly aspect of the program.  I want people to marvel at our superb graphs.

1.) This ended up as a dead end suggestion only based on the premise of: "Do we really need it?"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:27:38 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
We can also add "LFO" based on cycles. Check out how FLStudio uses LFO.

What is a "LFO"?  I haven't ever use FLStudio and I'm too lazy to dig through it to find out.

I'm going to guess "Low Frequency Operation", eg: performed every few hundred cycles.

1.) This ended up as a dead end suggestion only based on the premise of: "Do we really need it?"

Eh?  I still plan on working on graphs.  I'm going to be able to leverage the graphics system I'm working on right now to get it working right.  Instead of drawing bots, you just draw graph lines instead.  You can use the same camera system to zoom in and move around.

Still have to figure out how to collect the information of course.  There's lots of naive ways, but depending on the frequency and whether it should always be collecting data whether the graphs are up or not, and how many cycles it should save, it gets pretty bulky.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
What is a "LFO"?  I haven't ever use FLStudio and I'm too lazy to dig through it to find out.

I'm going to guess "Low Frequency Operation", eg: performed every few hundred cycles.
Pretty close actually, LFO = Low Frequency Oscillator. They are originally from synthesizers, now they basically are a way to cyclically modulate something else. Often they have the shape of sine/sawtooth/square wave.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »
i know python but not much about VB (print statements are about all i know :P )
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
For graphs I'd like the user to be able to set the x and y axis from a list of things.  So you can do mutations per DNA length.  Total mutations per cycle, etc.  Mutations per bot nrg, etc.

Ideally, this would become another kind of language that's similar to the DNA language.  Complex enough to perform some really amazing simulations.

Implemented. Users now can create user defined graphs.

I'd like the user to be able to export data in a form that can be read into and manipulated by Excel.

Implemented, Users now can extract graph data, should be readable by excel.
I'd like the user to be able to toggle between bar graphs, line graphs, point plots, and any other form you can think of.

Should be easy enough to do when graph data is inserted into excel. (sorry, you  will need to insert in 1000 data point intervals :/)

I'd like the user to be able to perform regression analysis on the data inside DB.  Create best fit curves/lines/parabolas/what have you.  Also any other statistics observations anyone can think of.  Perhaps mean and variance/standard deviation analysis.

Sounds a little over my head, but should be possible when data is recombined in excel.

I want these graphs to look superb.  Excel quality.  The current ones look ameteur.

New component called "graph join" lets you recombine saved graph data as an image with any sweet formatting you like.

I want these graphs to be scalable.  So you don't have to wait 1000 cycles to see any lines being drawn in your graph at all.

Ahm... not implemented, sorry.

I want these to be the smoothest, most user friendly aspect of the program.  I want people to marvel at our superb graphs.

Somewhat implemented ?!

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
Woot I learnt C++ (I'm only a beginner though)
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.