Author Topic: Call to Programmers  (Read 28814 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« on: September 28, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »
I am issuing a formal call to all DB'ers who know anything about programming.  There are tasks I want done but do not have time for myself.

To anyone interested in trying their hand at DB programming: I will personally help you get acquainted with the code.  I may even release a code tutorial at some point on the wiki.

Once 2.4 is out, there are about 50 small things I want to see worked on.  To do them all myself means about a month or even two.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 04:27:40 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »
THIS LINE IS BIZZY -OPERATORS ARE STANDIKNG BY EVOLVING FIRSTBOT AND GOING TO COLLAGE. PLEASE WAIT. plasmic007.tripod.com > music > Terminator's Dance...

ok ok , maybe I'll find time if its below masters math/ physics  level I can handle it I think. (hey lest time don't say that I did not help at all)

P.S.

heh,
know [ I ] anything [ / I ] about programming
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 05:20:29 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:42:43 PM »
I got VB but I dont know how to use it or where to find how I use it, could anyone of you link me to a site or something that tells all the commands that are possible to use? if I find out how to use VB I might be able to help.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »
A good place to start is searching for "visual basic tutorial".

Which is where I found this.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »
I'm going to borrow that link for the new MMORPG forum.  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 04:39:50 PM »
I'll give some coding a go!!
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 04:55:12 PM »
Awesome!

One of two things needs to be worked on in my mind:

1.  I want somebody to start working on some sweet ass graphs.  It doesn't sound exciting, but I think some cool graphs would totally kick the program up a notch, and it'd be a good, relatively safe way for someone to get their feet wet, so to speak.

For graphs I'd like the user to be able to set the x and y axis from a list of things.  So you can do mutations per DNA length.  Total mutations per cycle, etc.  Mutations per bot nrg, etc.

I'd like the user to be able to export data in a form that can be read into and manipulated by Excel.

I'd like the user to be able to toggle between bar graphs, line graphs, point plots, and any other form you can think of.

I'd like the user to be able to perform regression analysis on the data inside DB.  Create best fit curves/lines/parabolas/what have you.  Also any other statistics observations anyone can think of.  Perhaps mean and variance/standard deviation analysis.

I want these graphs to look superb.  Excel quality.  The current ones look ameteur.

I want these graphs to be scalable.  So you don't have to wait 1000 cycles to see any lines being drawn in your graph at all.

I want these to be the smoothest, most user friendly aspect of the program.  I want people to marvel at our superb graphs.

2.  Scripts should be fleshed out.  I haven't given this as much thought as the graphs, but basically anything the user can do, given a reason for doing so, the program should be able to do automatically.  This inlcudes things like changing physics constants over time or based on population levels, etc.

Ideally, this would become another kind of language that's similar to the DNA language.  Complex enough to perform some really amazing simulations.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 05:01:38 PM »
3.) Must be done so Vb does NOT run out of memory.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 05:04:54 PM »
Do you mean do 1 and 2 such that VB doesn't run out of memory, or make the current program work such that it doesn't run out of memory (that is, are you warning against a potential bug, or alerting us of a new bug?)

I don't think either 1 or 2 would be particularly memory intensive.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 10:43:14 AM »
Why not export it directly into excel? VB does a great job of creating Excel files and moving data into them.
and those who don't

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 10:45:22 AM »
2. Scripts should be fleshed out. I haven't given this as much thought as the graphs, but basically anything the user can do, given a reason for doing so, the program should be able to do automatically. This inlcudes things like changing physics constants over time or based on population levels, etc.

I have a few ideas on improving the scripts. Particuarly expanding the way they are managed. Think Starcraft or Warcraft3 scripts.  :)
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »
We are getting close to that evil memory limit vb has...  :(

I think it has it roots in complexity of flow. You may recall what happend when you had too mutch controls on the screen?

I dont know maybe all you need is better hardware.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 09:11:27 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 09:42:55 PM »
VB has no maximum memory limit that I am aware of.

They do have a maximum control limit per form.  But this can be easily gotten around by using control arrays.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 09:47:21 AM »
sorry nums, but those kind of tutorials have never worked for me, isnt there anysite with the COMMANDS? I learn often faster if I see a list that says "this command do that and that" than I do if someone says "then we type blablabla" sorry but thats how I am
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Call to Programmers
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 09:53:25 AM »
I have to agree with you Zelos.
The kind of tutorial I like is one that simply lists all of the keywords and tells you exactly what they do, what parameters are used etc.
Basically a reference book of the language.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 09:53:44 AM by PurpleYouko »
and those who don't