Author Topic: How to keep blocked  (Read 9225 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 05:38:34 PM »
Hence: rooted is not a requisite for plants, hence trees are not rooted because they need to be to perform photosynthesis, hence modeling trees by requiring they be rooted to perform photosynthesis isn't correct.

That would be all good but what if I wanted to model "realistic trees" not "imaginary trees" that are: "not rooted because they need to perform photosynthesis"

(I probebly will have to wait for the 3D virsion...  :( )
That's a logical inconsistancy with your previous statements.

You're basically saying:

"what if I wanted to model realistic trees that are not rooted because they need to perform photosynthesis?"

But being rooted does not prevent trees from performing photosynthesis.  You've in fact been espousing the opposite, that being rooted exclusively implies the ability to photosynthesize.

Perhaps you meant "What if I wanted to model imaginary trees that must be rooted to perfom photosynthesis?"

Then the answer would be "why do you want to model such a system?"  If the answer to that was interesting enough, we'd add such a distinction to the veggy feed rate.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 01:54:00 AM »
It might make more sense for plants to root themselves if more requirements for photosynthesis come online. A "tree" that takes waste that collects in the bottom and sun from above would be logical enough. Currently the vegs only need sun so they can fix/root themselves at the highest point and gain nrg that way. (Quite often annoying the crap out of me by killing off my bots below. <_< )

The high percent repro does the trick pretty well for tied sharer's allowing them to produce "branches" in something resembling a fractal pattern.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 01:56:12 AM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 10:22:14 AM »
Well, natural photosynthesis just needs water, CO2, and light.  But I can see your point.  Hmm, I'm not sure.  Simulate some nutrients or something?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 12:55:22 PM »
Blocked veggies might even register .fixed as 1
Yup they do.
You may even be able to unfix them with an info shot (0 .shootval store .fixpos .shoot store)
Yup you can.

Fixpos/fixed just writes/reads a value to/from the ".fixed" boolean variable that has always been used by blocked veggies.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 03:06:11 PM »
I still say if we get rid of "veg" we should get rid of "blocked" as well.

A person sets up an envirment to favor plants or animals.
So a person must set up an envirment to favor fixed or unfixed plants.

A person wants to model "alaska forest" or "under  solt water small scale"

He does not want to model "blocked" or "unblocked"

A person wants to model "the envirment plants live in" or the "the envirment animals live in"

Or he wants to model both so we make high resoltions and the e-grid.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 03:07:57 PM »
:(

But I can see your point.

thats funny endy had to post once, I have to post what 6 , 7 times? Maybe I should just go back to cosmic rift??

The difference is alragy get there nutreants from the water witch is liquid therfor they don't need to be blocked.

But plants that get there nutreants from soil witch is solid and therefor need to be blocked in order to toch the soil.

All can be done on the grid...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 03:10:47 PM by Botsareus »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 03:35:46 PM »
Actually, I agree on this.  "blocked" can be as easily (and with more precision) specified in DNA language now, so we can get rid of "blocked" option in menu.  Less options - less clutter.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »
Bots. Are you talking about getting rid of the "Blocked" option from the control panel or getting rid of all robot's ability to fix their position from their own (or an attacker's) DNA.

If the former then I agree. I am with Shvarz on this. The option in the setup page is pointless.

If the latter then I disagree completely. Robots (both animal and vegatable) need to be able to lock themselves in place from DNA.
and those who don't

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 03:53:17 PM »
lol, god dam it man - I am talking about the:

getting rid of the "Blocked" option from the control panel

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 03:53:33 PM by Botsareus »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »
Good then we are on the same page then.

Dump it I say!  :lol:

If you want to use a blocked veggie then make a version which blocks itself from its DNA.
and those who don't

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »
thats funny endy had to post once, I have to post what 6 , 7 times? Maybe I should just go back to cosmic rift??

No, you don't need to go back to the cosmic rift :) I think you just need to be more clear about what you're discussing sometimes.

I think we're all in agreement about removing the blocked veg's option. It's easy enough to just make a veggie that anchors itself, if that's desired.

Might be an idea to work on a new main species of veggie when the next vers is out. I'd like to see something with at least a basic body to nrg conversion ability and vice versa, so they won't die off as fast.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:20:14 PM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
Less options - less clutter.
Shvarz!  Shhhvvaaarrrzz!  has anyone seen Shvarz?  You in the bag, have you seen a homer simspon look alike anywhere around here?

:P

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »
Bots, you were suggesting that an option be made that required plants be blocked to photosynthesize, which I disagree with.

Endy was saying he had a problem in Pond Mode with plants at the top totally cutting off plants at the bottom.

They are very similar.  But I don't like either at face value.  Endy's idea was that waste would be needed for photosynthesis, and thus being fixed in place at the bottom of the sim, bots could feed off of the waste of corpses, presumably.  Which is a better solution that what you proposed, but still not quite there.

When I said "I can see your point", I meant just that, not that I agree with it.  I can also see Bot's point that there should be some intrinsic reason why plants would want to block in some sims.  I just haven't heard a good one yet.

Should I put little astericks in posts I agree with?  Am I not presenting myself in a clear and concise manner?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 05:50:42 PM »
Might be an idea to work on a new main species of veggie when the next vers is out. I'd like to see something with at least a basic body to nrg conversion ability and vice versa, so they won't die off as fast.
Probably several.  One would work wel in the standard feeding mode, one would store body so it got more nrg in the nrg/kilobody mode, etc.  Maybe some pond mode plants as well.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How to keep blocked
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »
I need a "wavepeaceflag" smily right about now  :D