Welcome To Darwinbots > Newbie

coexistence

(1/11) > >>

hdggDalton:
so i was running an evolution sim with animal minimalis, i made it huge, with hundreds of bots. i just fed them some really basic algae that doesn't make slime because i was hoping for the bots to take advantage of it (and also so the simulation runs faster ;)) at one point i noticed one particular patch of algae that didn't go away, and had survived for 20 generations, i was super interested because most plants are just there to feed but this one was really spaced out and smaller than normal. i saw that instead of making tons of chloroplasts and trying to grow as fast as possible which would make them really big and easy to eat they just made 1 chloroplast per cycle which slowed their growth but kept them small and hard to eat. the bots seemed to be feeding off of the plants but not killing them off completely, circling around almost like gardeners.

it looked like first the bots were sloppy eaters used to feeding on huge plants with full chloroplasts, then some plant had a mutation that caused them to only make 1 chloroplast per cycle, which made them small and hard to eat, but not impossible, some bots moved in, ate all the big plants, and started circling around the small plants getting a shot here and there, enough to reproduce once in a while, while the plants very slowly grew outward. i believe the bots have to have crappy shooting in order to coexist with the plants and have a reliable food source

i have a photo of it from yesterday, and a new photo from today. there was a small crisis where the area was temporarily infested with max body plants that somehow figured out how to shoot and they would kill everything that intersected their shots but thankfully they died because of waste. of course there's other places in the simulation, where the non-gardener bots are happy to eat huge accumulated stacks of normal plants, and then hope to find more food before they die

Numsgil:
I had a sim once where the plants learned to "vibrate" by storing small random values in .dx and .sx which made them hard enough to eat that they were able to coexist with the animals for the same reason: the feeding animals ended up being quite sloppy because they had a hard time aiming their shots to always hit.  I think it's a viable strategy to get a coexistance going: you need the animals to struggle to feed enough that the plants have an opportunity to survive.  But it can also tip too far in the plants' favor and it can be so hard to feed that the animals die off.

hdggDalton:
yeah, it's all about sustainability, i'm hoping that this little plant will spread to the whole map and i won't even have to repopulate with normal plants, because it is kinda slowly creeping outwards... here is how it's going right now, surprisingly a wholly separate clump of plants have appeared to the left of the main clump, they work by only producing chloroplast when their chloroplast is less than refypos? ill just put it here

--- Code: ---
 cond
 *.chlr *.refypos <
 start
 160 .mkchlr store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Ends at position  9  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Begins at position  10  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.nrg 6000 >
 start
 50 .repro store
 15 .aimright store
 inc
 & sqr stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Ends at position  24  '''''''''''''''''''''''

--- End code ---

and this is a size 14 map too

hdggDalton:
yo guys one of the plant colonies split into 2

hdggDalton:
ok guys bad news the original 2 colonies of coexisting plants and bots are dead D:

but good news is that another has taken its place! unlike the previous ones which were dreadfully slow these new ones just limit their max chloroplasts to stay small, i didn't even think of that :D

--- Code: --- cond
 *.chlr 16281 <
 start
 160 .mkchlr store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Ends at position  9  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Begins at position  10  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.nrg 6000 >
 start
 50 .repro store
 15 .aimright store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Ends at position  21  '''''''''''''''''''''''

--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version