Author Topic: Hello?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline hdggDalton

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello?
« on: November 26, 2021, 01:54:01 AM »
I found Darwinbots a few years ago, loved running it in the background while doing other stuff and seeing what monstrosities come out at the end. But sometimes I would return to evolution-halting disappointments. Most of them were straight up mass extinctions and the screen would be filled with horribly mutated plants. But there was also this one weird case where my bots evolved chloroplasts and died slow deaths from wasting all their energy trying to move, but not before killing all of my bots that could still move around  :( I only now noticed there's a forum for it. Is there anyone here? i'd like to share some pictures of my bots going crazy and splitting into a million tiny pieces

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Hello?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »
Welcome!

That's a common end scenario myself and others have encountered.  In theory you could avoid a mass extinction by having a very large playfield and population count.  Then there'd be some population left to repopulate after an evolutionary event that left a large die-off.  I think it's also due in part to how simple the environments are compared to real environments: there are only really two niches (plant and animal) so without the diversity of species you have some unstable setups.

Your best bet is probably to save snapshots periodically and when you hit a dead end start up a new simulation with some selected genetic strains from the last good snapshot.

Offline hdggDalton

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Hello?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »
man, you're right, i've been too impatient and doing my sims with tiny populations (50-100) and small maps, mostly because it's faster that way. I mean, if I have tons of time, I suppose it's worth having more bots, more plants, bigger population, bigger everything in exchange for slower progress. thanks for replying!

edit: yooo i got a super cool behavior where the bots make flocks and move like amoeba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJO9eMp81QQ

Code: [Select]
'#generation: 5
'#mutations: 4

cond
 *.eye5 0 >
 *.refeye .mkchlr store
 start
 *.refveldx .dx store
 *.refvelup 30 add .up store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Ends at position  17  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Begins at position  18  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.eye5 50 >
 *.refeye *.myeye !=
 start
 -1 .shoot store
 *.refvelup 1 *.robage stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Ends at position  32  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  3 Begins at position  33  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.eye5 0 =
 *.refeye *.myeye =
 or
 start
 346 rnd .aimright store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  3 Ends at position  46  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  4 Begins at position  47  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.nrg 20000 >
 start
 10 .repro store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  4 Ends at position  55  '''''''''''''''''''''''
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:22:34 PM by hdggDalton »