Author Topic: The next big thing  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:43:28 PM »
Perhaps its time we resurect the mebo stuff?  Once I finish off 2.4, it'll be time to start on one of the major projects.

Here's my list of Major projects:

1.  Env Grid
2.  Mebo System
3.  Bot specialization (ie: ability to turn off movement for bonus to poison production, for example)
4.  Graphs, entirely reworked and redone (maybe I should make a new post on this...)
5.  Scripts flushed out to be as useful as they can be.
6.  Diploidity, followed by sexuality.

Post some others, maybe we can vote on what we think should be the next concentration.  Graphs isn't terribly exciting, but I do think some good statistical controls would make DB better as a research platform (which is sort of my goal).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 04:43:55 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:01:35 PM »
I vote for:

1.) Fix all bugs ( load , save simulation is currently still buggy , I beleave it currently does not find the settings for the simulation automaticaly, I have to open settings first , then I have to open simulation)

2.) sexrepro and for vegs too (lest time I checked it was buggyer for vegs)

3.) When I make my settings to start a new simulation make sure the mutation rates load with the robot file so I wont have to use any "home made patches" to set them. And saving them as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:03:04 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:11:43 PM »
Aren't muation rates saved through the "save organism" option?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 09:43:41 AM »
They should be since all the save routines in the game save the mutarray.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »
The THING IS: When you load or created a settings file it only exsepts dna, not organisms.

2.) The organism files are incoded so there is no way to archive them for windiff easy text to text compare. Or you cant use an external editor (notepad) to edit anything exsept the dna code.

P.S.

You guys sound more like microsoft every day...  <_<

Were is your Linux spirit guys?

:D Bau  :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:38:20 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »
I hate writing/modifying save/load routines.  If you want bots, once I get a save oranism function that saves all the new variables, you can take it and convert it to save in plain ascii.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 09:10:26 PM »
I want evo grid AND mebo.  Yes I am greedy :)  On the other hand I don't care if they are not perfect, even semi-functional would be OK.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 10:42:29 PM »
They are sort of dependant on each other a bit.  E grid always tanks me though.  Such a twisted little problem.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »
You mean save organism in plain in assie? you still have to do a ton of work to set up a robot for that when creating new settings.

I beleave It's time we consider the mutation rates as part of the dna. All dna.txt files must have there mutation rates attached to them. This helps newbe evolutionists not spend time figuring out whats the most defult mutation rates. It also helps loading a robot into a settings file from a "save robots dna on autosave" rotine (witch is pritty much the only thing that seems to work for me in the current virsion, after I reload the organism file into seporate instance of the program and then extract the dna. also kills time.) This means the auto save would be even more usefull if it had the option of saving the dna and rates instead of the organism. In any case the "save robot dna" routine should be modifed to include rates.

So another solution would be: make the load robot button in the settings have an option eather to load by dna file or by organism file. This still means that there is no fast way to keep the rates with the dna file and Edit them, splice them etc. (unless we rewrite all the robots in orgainsm files) So I suggest you go with the longer paragraph above.

Ofcorese another solution would be is make everyone learn visual basic and make custom patches to the program, witch I have already done but If I had this things in the program itself would be a lot easyer.

It does not take too mutch time to write rates:

'300,200,500,400,300

in a simple camma dilated format at the end of the dna file. It's even easyer to load them using the Split() function.

P.S.
Am I repeating myself too mutch? -Its for a good cause.

Shvartz what do you mean by "mebo"? do you mean Metabolism? If so, I think we have spent a good 3 weeks of computer time discusing it already, all it does need to do is to get added. (although I still think if we have blocked checkbox it is the same thing as still heaving the veg check box)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:28:13 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 07:46:51 PM »
Mutation things in the DNA wouldn't be terribly difficult.  But it's not something I'm going to worry about for 2.4

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 11:00:34 AM »
nums, when egrid is done, couldnt you work on the old astronomy stuff? it would be fun to add it.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The next big thing
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »
Yes.