Author Topic: converting to plant?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:27:05 AM »
Ok just a thought but would it be possible for a robot to copy all his Dna into an algae trough virus insertion and then deleting the algae Dna ?
If so such robots would easily become indepandent from feeding,the coudl even become independant of reproducing by just mimicking the enemys(eye number)
and then inserting their own Dna into it.

Probably that idea was brought up before but as I said my forum search never works.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 01:31:14 PM »
Your idea is certainly possible. The problem is that the resultant bot would still be officially (by its species name that is) as the original veggie.
What inevitably happens in these kind of situation is that the hybrid veggie is so efficient that it wipes out the parent Bot completely.

So while it is possible it really isn't a particularly good outcome to a sim.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »
If you view evolution from the standpoint of genes, it's the ultimate end for a successful genome.  Basically it's achieved immortality.

This sort of things works better with single gene bots, BTW.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 06:39:23 PM »
Thats why Num and Py are working( more or less ) on the e-grid, so plants and plantfeeders have the equal but different advantages and more complex systems then "smart plants" can develop.

and BTW, welcome to DB!  B)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 08:09:25 PM »
I've gotten several bots to do this but the results are that either the plants wipe out the animals or the animals stop feeding from the plants. If the plants destroy the animals the sim will typically restart unless restart is disabled. While this capability of raising a veggie army is useful for combat sims it doesn't work as well for evosims. The army plants seem to generally move towards a completly nonviolent lifestyle and stop killing one another. This in turn stops their evolution since they're not being hunted.

Possibly if the plants had to compete with each other for nrg it would be different but currently this is not possible in DB.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 11:29:43 PM »
I can add a zero-sum veg feeding method.  The less vegs there are the more nrg each veg gets.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 02:26:25 AM »
That might be an idea.

Wel: what did you mean about mimicking an enemy's eye number? It's possible to do this with great difficulty currently(gene deletion or gene multiplication via viruses); but I don't see how it'd relate to virus firing. All you have to do is vshoot and delete the "foriegn" dna.

Don't real viruses have to destroy the infected cell with sheer numbers to be let out? Could we make something similar have to happen in DB? (Not against viruses just think the things are too good at what they're doing :) )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 02:35:53 AM by Endy »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 08:54:40 AM »
I can add a zero-sum veg feeding method. The less vegs there are the more nrg each veg gets.
I went to a lot of trouble to stop it doing that a few versions back.
The idea is both unrealistic and actually causes a lot of problems.

The way it used to work you could actually get a negative food token given to the veggies if you got too many of them. The problem often used to show up when the bots were cultivating veggies (ie battery bots). First you get a point where there is no net growth then it goes negative and veggies start to pop out of existence for no reason.

It was damned annoying and I would really prefer not to go back there.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
converting to plant?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 09:36:42 AM »
Yes, I agree that in most situations its unrealistic.  But I can also see it argued that at times it is useful for modelling certain evolutionary things.  Currently I have like 3 different veg feeding methods in the program.