Author Topic: Exploding Babies  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Exploding Babies
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:42:11 PM »
Found this out when I was helping SyndLig weith his bot.  Occassionaly a bot will produce and baby, and that baby proceeds to die the first cycle its out.

Has anyone else noticed this bug?  I've seen it happen with babies that have > 500 energy, so I doubt it has anything to do with the baby using too much energy from its dna commands.

I'm still trying to trace the problem, unfortunately, it's not as easy as I'd like.  Something is draining massive amounts of energy in new born bots.

I thought it was the shock death function, but I artificially bypassed that and it's still doing it.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Exploding Babies
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 11:58:14 PM »
Yay, I figured out the problem.  The function that checked the integrity of the DNA was returning values incorrectly sometimes.  Fixed it, and all is good :D

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Exploding Babies
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 12:55:38 AM »
I had thought I'd seen where a baby bot "Joey" will explode if parent's body is extremely low. But it is hard to really tell about this.

Endy B)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Exploding Babies
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 09:38:14 AM »
There is another very common reason for this to happen.

If the DNA has a missing or miss spelled "cond", "start" or "stop" the babies will almost invariably just go "POOF" in the cycle immediately following their birth.

It is so easy to miss this while writing a DNA file. It is the first thing I always check.

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline SyndLig

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Exploding Babies
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:08:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's not the case, but you know... I'm very unobservant.

Oh well... Numsgil is messing with Motoris and I'm stuck at school, so I can only speculate about what's going on.  Most likely it has something to do with the .sexrepro gene.

Oh, and first post!  :P