Welcome To Darwinbots > Newbie

Hi

(1/3) > >>

dsaddan:
Hi:

I just registered to the forum. I have a few questions:

Is the project alive in the sense that there is an active development going on?

Is there a development team that I can join?

Dror

spike43884:
Hello!  :D
Well, there is a few of us that still use DB2, it's a small community, but it exists.
The successor to Darwinbots 2, inventively called "Darwinbots 3" is being developed by Numsigl, you may be able to join him on working on it if he's okay with that.

Numsgil:
Yes, I'm doing active development on a next version.  I recently dropped a sort of preview thing here.

If you know/can learn C#, I'm sure I could give you some tasks you'd find interesting.  Information on getting the source code up and running is found here.

If you know Visual Basic 6, you could play around in the current version.  In some ways it's an easier codebase to figure out and modify, but it's also pretty easy to break stuff without knowing since it's not really tested.  Its SVN is here.

dsaddan:
I will be happy to work on the DB2 VB6 code to get to know the application.

Do you need any work such as bug fixing done there?

Dror

Numsgil:
I haven't been doing any work in the VB6 code for many years now, so I don't know what all needs doing there.  I think bugs at least are pretty well squished.

If you were feeling really adventurous you could try and figure out testing.  Not knowing if a change is breaking something has been a huge issue for us in that code base.  From a quick google I found SimplyVBUnit.  If you wanted to you could try and figure out how to set that up so that we had some unit tests.  That would be a gigantic help.  If you aren't familiar with unit testing I think the Stepping Through the Looking Glass: Test-Driven Game Development is a good introduction.

In terms of what to test to start with, if you look in common.bas, there's a bunch of low level functions that get used all over the place.  Testing VectorMagnitude would be a good place to start.  Make sure it doesn't overflow especially.

When you're ready, you can create a SVN patch (for tortoise see Creating and Applying Patches) and upload it to the forums here in a post (if it's not too big).  I'll review it and make sure you're on the right track and check it in.  After a few such patches I'll give you an account to check code in with yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version