Author Topic: DNA editing  (Read 5468 times)

Offline spoonkiny

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« on: September 07, 2005, 04:20:12 PM »
hello everyone I have absolutly no idea on how to change DNA none. if some one told me how I could make the "thing" ive been thinking of. HELP.

that and I took a flamus(I think) and made it faily invincable then I had to make a bot that could repel and kill it thus making a way so your sim doesnt die.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 05:35:41 PM »
DNA is edited in any text editor.  Microsoft word, notepad (notepad is probably the best), etc.

Now, learning the DNA language is trickier, but there is an excellent tutorial on it on the FTP.

Offline spoonkiny

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 06:43:36 PM »
thanks but is there a pre-made thing that is missing numbers where you plug them in and have a new robot?

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 07:36:48 PM »
spooky , I only want to know whats the point of building robots that don't do anything special; Say everyone can have a "premade thing" so people make arround 100 robots that are a bit different, ok lets say someone found the best values to plug. Its still some crappy premade code that does not do anything special!

I seen your bot in the bestary, If that thing is a 1GMB , or smothing , or it beats One or Two I'll be impressed, otherwise the only use for it is to better understand robotic programming, I was probebly the same when I just started.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:18:51 PM »
There have been sorta from time to time.  But really the best way is to either:

1.  Search the beastiary for a good bot and play with it's DNA.

2.  Make one from scratch.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 05:17:57 PM »
I've figured out how to upload the html dna editor; I could rig up a basic bot, in the text area for new users to play around with if you'd like.

Still I've gotta agree that it's best to do a combination of Num's suggestions; play around with a more advanced bot, while at the same time practice modifying basic dna(my first mod was puny Alga_minimalis :) )
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 05:20:23 PM by Endy »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 01:03:54 AM »
Shrunk db dna editor down in size to postable level, see the post in offtopic for more.

I've found an interesting word randomizer j-script code, I'll see about adding it. I seriously doubt much useful dna would come from it, but it could be interesting for making junk dna.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 05:58:32 PM »
E, why do you need a word randomizer? custom labels ? :help:

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 05:48:46 PM »
I was talking about randomly moving the position of "words" in terms of coded dna. I was thinking it could randomly create new or modify existing genes for use as "junk" dna and/or peusedo junk dna. I'm not really sure of the effectivness of the whole thing, but think it would be interesting for people to let the program create part of the dna and then add the more functional parts to it.

It's probably goiing to have to be relativly simplistic in error checking compared to the program's own impressive capabilities, but should work well enough as long as a person is observing it. I'm also pretty sure we don't have anywhere near as much to worry about as we used to, with all of Nums improvements in terms of allowable "errors" in the dna.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:49:29 PM by Endy »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »
That's right.  You'd have to work pretty hard to find a piece of DNA that would seriously screw up the program.  Most errors won't hurt genes downstream.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DNA editing
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 02:53:17 AM »
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Horray! I found a little joke html page(3 word shakesparean insult gen :lol: ), that does basically what I need it to. I just need to update the arrays and add a couple of rnd num generators.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 03:42:10 AM by Endy »