Author Topic: Catch-up mutation  (Read 6228 times)

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Catch-up mutation
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:08:55 AM »
Could you throw in a checkbox in global settings for Catch-up mutation which multiplies an individual bots mutation rates to 'catch up' to the average mutation in either:
(a) the rest of the species
(b) the rest of the simulation

It should help allow (fairly) controlled mutation for creating new bots more quickly as none get behind in slower mutation, but it won't overmutate them as when they catch up their mutation rate drops to normal again.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Catch-up mutation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
Meh, I actually like my handycapped evolution hacks just fine.
If you think you can come up with better, hack at the source code like me for 10 years and we will see.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
Meh, I actually like my handycapped evolution hacks just fine.
If you think you can come up with better, hack at the source code like me for 10 years and we will see.
Yeah but thats 10 years hacking at source code when for the next 8 to 10 years I need to be studying architecture....
Anyway, was it 10 years hacking at the source code, or was it 10 years performing zerobot evolutions with the occasional peak at the source codes evolution algorithms to evolve zerobots again? :P
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
Actually I can see why you may request such feature based on how delta for zerobot mutation works. But trust me that with your idea it will be even worse. All the zerobots will end up evolving and dying without a chance for natural selection to kick in.

The zerobot algorithm was developed and refined for about only 1 year and I stopped work on it as soon as I got a result. I did not try it again after that. So I have no 100% proof that it even works consistently. I am going to revisit this soon.

The most time consuming algorithm is the survival evolution. When I first developed it, it was more effective than normal evolution. Now I am not sure if it still is mainly because of how much the program changed. However it still has clear advantages other than speed of evolution therefore in the long run my algo should be better. I am publishing this thing as a general algorithm to be used not only in db, so when it is prove of concept time, it should just work. Unfortunately prove of concept may take longer than earning my AA. One thing my algorithm did not change is how slow evolution is.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
Actually I can see why you may request such feature based on how delta for zerobot mutation works. But trust me that with your idea it will be even worse. All the zerobots will end up evolving and dying without a chance for natural selection to kick in.

The zerobot algorithm was developed and refined for about only 1 year and I stopped work on it as soon as I got a result. I did not try it again after that. So I have no 100% proof that it even works consistently. I am going to revisit this soon.

The most time consuming algorithm is the survival evolution. When I first developed it, it was more effective than normal evolution. Now I am not sure if it still is mainly because of how much the program changed. However it still has clear advantages other than speed of evolution therefore in the long run my algo should be better. I am publishing this thing as a general algorithm to be used not only in db, so when it is prove of concept time, it should just work. Unfortunately prove of concept may take longer than earning my AA. One thing my algorithm did not change is how slow evolution is.
What about mutation which is increasing in specific area's of the simulation?
If it was thin fragments of elevated mutation, unless the bots .fixpos'ed in those spots they'd evolve at a varying rate?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
They do tend to sit there reproduce and fixpos don't they? Something for me to look at.

edit: Did you get any complete zerobots yet? You should have the following message: "Zerobot evolution complete."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:30:55 PM by Botsareus »

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »
They do tend to sit there reproduce and fixpos don't they? Something for me to look at.

edit: Did you get any complete zerobots yet? You should have the following message: "Zerobot evolution complete."
Nah I've not had much time to focus on them.
GCSE's.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »
Could you throw in a checkbox in global settings for Catch-up mutation which multiplies an individual bots mutation rates to 'catch up' to the average mutation in either:

It should help allow (fairly) controlled mutation for creating new bots more quickly as none get behind in slower mutation, but it won't overmutate them as when they catch up their mutation rate drops to normal again.

If it was thin fragments of elevated mutation, unless the bots .fixpos'ed in those spots they'd evolve at a varying rate?

First he requests one thing, than requests the completely opposite thing. This beats Sporks playerbot feature which I actually use to debug bots sometimes. :angry:

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »

First he requests one thing, than requests the completely opposite thing. This beats Sporks playerbot feature which I actually use to debug bots sometimes. :angry:
Meh. I'm just throwing idea's at you really.
ALSO, why don't we add pies which the bots can eat!  :P :P