Author Topic: Run-time error 14  (Read 4727 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Run-time error 14
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »
I think this problem has to do with the Randomizer or possibly the teleporters, and if I understand correctly Safe Mode can't handle that. I can't attach the zip file cause it's too big. Also I doubt it would help.

I highly recommend you run my kind of set-up. That's how you catch the bugs. Just check out my folder structure in the picture, then add teleporters between them like I show in my video "A randombot simulation example" and add a bunch of randombots to each instance.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:45:14 AM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Run-time error 14
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »
I think this one is simply the result of a mutations buffer overflow that I thought I fixed.
Basically every time a robot mutates it logs the mutation, with enough mutations logged the program crashes.
There is a small possibility it happens when teleporting a robot in when it tries to expend the string. But I need to make sure before I set anything up to run:
Testlund, please recreate it without teleportars and than just send me the lastran.set file and the robots. (That is faster than me looking up something on youtube, my vid quality is bad. I can not see what values you are using.)
I will have to run it long enough for it to crash, but that is going to be the most effective way of fixing this. I do not mind running something for a couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:44:55 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
Hey Testlund, I can in theory attempt to fix it by reducing the overflow point the string should reset by half and see if that fixes it with the next drop. Shall I?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:44:46 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »
I figured it out!  :)

Apparently the string space limit is not per each instance of the array. It is the total length of string vb6 can handle combined. Fixing now.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
One of the first experiments to try when I get to uni. is normal evolution vs my restart method since now in theory the program should be stable enough to run continually for a couple of months. Talking about yet unpublished 2.48.29.