Author Topic: More accurate model of Radiation  (Read 7144 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
More accurate model of Radiation
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »
Nice , wait for 30000 rounds on your free time, I love it. Poor Nums.

I was thinking making my "ran out of time" as a 3rd player and scoring him like a player. If "ran out of time" wins then the old bot is kept and the contest is restarted with a new "virsion" of the old bot.

Anyway got to run play some rift before the night and the test. Happy Bday again, see you later.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 07:33:01 PM »
Problem with any sort of time limit is that some bots really take that long to win.  Ymir, when I was first working on it, was absolutely horrible this way.  I think it was Destinatus Praelitor or whatever that it would play "1 man vs. the world" with for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

Of course, Ymir would come from nowhere and wipe the floor with Desty.  But those were some long 5 or 6 hours.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29:52 PM »
I'm honestly not sure it is possible to evolve something to win at F1. The issue is that the bot is having to compete with nearly identical coppies for food. The problem can actually be compounded with bots being nice to each other. The group actions eventually lead to overcrowding conditions, allowing wasteful(for F1 contests) canni's to take the lead, by ensuring a large food supply available when the bot does become cannibotisitic.

The best I could recomend is taking a look at existing champions and attempting to build a bot to beat them. A sort of technological evolution rather than sim-biological. If your contender doesn't do too good, you take a look at where it is lacking and improve it. If the enemy has a special attack/counter attack you figure out a blocking method to counter it.

Evolution is however good for discovering the natural cheap actions the bots utilize. When a particular bot began gaining in numbers, I was able to track it down to increasing .shootval. Now I can take the knowledge and re-apply it in a more controlled fashion in contests.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 10:36:37 PM by Endy »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 07:42:11 AM »
PY a organism is able to be more resistence to radiation (mutations). there is a archea that is able to live in a nuclear reactor while a few second there would almos mean certain death for a human.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 09:01:08 AM »
I seem to remember reading about that too.  But you have to wonder what kind of radiation it's being exposed to.  If it really is neutron decay or whatever, then it must have some incredible DNA repairing mechanisms.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:49:57 AM »
The most radiation resistant organism in the world is Deinococcus radiodurans according to this article and a load of others.
it does not specify the kind of radiation that it is resistent to but I strongly suspect it is going to be gamma and not neutrons.

The articles say that when the bacteria is subjected to a burst of radiation, its DNA is completely shredded but its repair mechanisms are such that it is able to put it all back together in a day.

However if this bacteria were subjected to a constant radiation source such as a reactor outer core (outer core has no fast neutrons left) where all there will be are a bunch of gamma rays, it would not have time to repair the damage and would still die.

I just don't buy it that these things could survive in a reactor.

These things have been known to survive the level of irradiation (gamma) used to sterilize food but that is still only an infinitesimal amount of the gammas in a reactor core.
The bacteria can survive 1.5 million rads of gamma or X-ray radiation.
An average reactor pressure vessel receives a gamma dose of 10,000,000,000,000 rads. (see this paper on reactor design)
That is just gamma. On top of that the fast and slow neutron reactons would physically convert almost every Carbon atom in the whole organism to Beryllium within a couple of hours.
No amount of DNA repair is going to save them when there are no available Carbon atoms.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
Endy, I have developed a program before a while back that can win me in a shooter vedio game , it learned this by itself. on my weakends I am currently working on a pingpong game for microsoft word that should work the same way (I have not done it in a while , I need to be sure its not my imaginaton and I actualy did create a really effective naturaly evolving ai)

As for canni bots, try putting The One FirstBot frandly genes into the one and into my firstbot. If you put them in F1 mode TheONE will simply be gready to give FirstBot food and it will die form starvation. Thats the kind of effect I am planning to get.

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 01:02:48 PM »
it can with stand so much damage cause the dna is so packed that if its smashed so it break the parts stay were they are unitel the bacteria can fix it
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 04:23:58 PM »
But again, that's probably resistance to photonic radiation (I hope that's a word!), which is quite different to resistance from neutronic radiation.  (I love making up words :P).

And as far as I can tell these little buggers feed on nuclear waste (or in nuclear waste?), which is quite different in rad levels from the inside of a reactor.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 04:27:14 PM by Numsgil »