Author Topic: hi....  (Read 4006 times)

Offline scood

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
hi....
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:38:23 PM »
Man it's been quite a while since I have been here.... I have since gained a few extra skills in programming and am just curious to see what the code for DB3 looks like.

Usually when I look at code I like to make sure I can build it. Are there any up to date build instructions lying around?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:42:32 PM by scood »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: hi....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
The instructions here should be mostly up to date.  The main gotcha is that I use Visual Studio 2013 (haven't upgraded yet).  If you don't have it, I think you can still get the express version (the free one) here, but I'm not sure.

Also, it's important to note that there isn't a single master solution file.  I was building it from the ground up one module at a time.  You can look at the various "testbeds" in some of the solutions.  But they may or may not actually be buildable and running currently.  Slipstream.Testbed, if it's working, is probably the most interesting thing to build and run, as it simulates some simple fluid physics.  I have a "bot testbed" I'm working on now, but it's not really ready to look at or checked in yet.

I haven't been good at keeping the binaries in the bin/release up to date, so you'll need to probably rebuild everything using the batch file in Scripts/BuildAll-Release.bat.  You'll need to run it a few times, most likely, because it doesn't know anything about dependencies and just builds things more or less in alphabetical order.

I've generally tried to keep the repository up to date, but I have a lot of minor changes on my local client that are only half finished, so I'm not sure if in the current state it's in it will actually build and run.  But I think it should.

Offline scood

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »
I'm actually having trouble with running the build script....

Here's a dump of the output I'm getting.

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Travis\Documents\DB3\Trunk\Scripts>Call BuildAll-Debug.bat
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
Visual Studio 9 was not detected. Cannot continue.

The last line is the most confusing Considering that I do in fact have Visual Studio 2013 installed.
The other lines are less confusing.... It seems to be looking for the install directory.... Is the "Helper" keyword within the string an environment variable or program?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 01:01:21 AM »
My mistake, the build scripts were pointing to VS2010 instead of VS2013.  I've fixed it and checked it in.  Try resyncing and run the script again.

Also, just so you're not confused, some of the projects have tests that will fail (Annulus for one).  They're sort of running "todos" for me to look at.