Author Topic: making my own DB fan-version  (Read 20204 times)

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
making my own DB fan-version
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:29:02 PM »
Hello, first of all, i wasnt sure where i wanted to put this thread, so.. i apologize if putting it in the off-topic was... unfitting, anyways my name is Magnus and since i first found DarwinBots, its always inspired me, ALOT, inspired me in many fields, such as evolution, coding, ai. and while these things has always intrested me, this awesome application really made me want these things more (ps. writting this late midnight so i apologize if i write a bit strangely)

i have always considered making my own version of Darwinbots a personal goal in the field of programming, and recently i was lucky to get into a really good java course in my country, and while i did have previous programming experience in many languages (including java) this really helped and.. yeah im kinda feeling like im actually getting close to getting enough skill to actually make my own version of Darwinbots, though.. i doubt its gonna get even close to as awesome as the original, now, i actually tried making a Darwinbots fan-version in the past year or so.. 3 times
1st  time.. chatastrophic failure (forgot which coding language)
2th time.. chatastrophic failure (lua)
3th time.. (java) semi functional.. um.. random dna.. which.. granted, is basically a chatastrophic failurure xD
a few days ago, i made my fourth attempt (in java) and.. well i managed to after alot of work get it to run "cond start 5 .up store stop"
and my position variable outputted
Position[x=5.0,y=0.0]
Position[x=12.5,y=0.0]
Position[x=21.25,y=0.0]
etc etc which made me very happy to finally have a (even though basic) working version :D
and, i'd absolutley love occasional help with technical details of my project then and then, at the moment, im trying to think on how to code the eye similarly to how Darwinbots does it, it be nice if someone could explain to me how Darwinbots calculates it, thanks :)

also ,i did find the source code link (http://wiki.darwinbots.com/index.php?title=Source_Code) in the forum here, however.. i wasnt able to.. um.. navigate it to find the code i was looking for, some pointers would be great? ^_^

have a nice day everyone

~Magnus (EnderCrypt)
WARNING: Found unknown Windows version: Windows 7

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
Re: making my own DB fan-version
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
! Sounds interesting. However, starting with a blank slate, you could try features unfeasible in DB while simplifying others. If you are a sadist, bots with Befunge-like code would be interesting.
To być albo nie być, oto jest ze pytanie

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:01:44 AM »
cool i kinda wanted to make a db type program myself but almost no programming experience and absolutely no time to do so. but what i have learned is keep things organized. once it starts getting messy you may as well start over just to understand the code again(java does make it relatively easy to do so). i may be able to help on how the eyes work but the actual calculations... well i have no clue. good luck

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
im not very good at keeping codes organized, however i am doing my best at keeping javadoc's for every method, also i am considering putting this on github as open source

but yeah, the code is messy and not as stable as i wished, at the moment im just trying to get things running, i worked very hard on getting things just up and running normally

! Sounds interesting. However, starting with a blank slate, you could try features unfeasible in DB while simplifying others. If you are a sadist, bots with Befunge-like code would be interesting.

MysticalDumpling, could you tell me more about these ideas you got, i am very intrested in hearing about it :)

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »
You could disable shots, only allow ties- forcing MB formations. You could make DNA blocks of code, with a "master gene" that regulates their activation and combinations, etc. The sky (if you choose to make it) is your limit, lol.

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
You could disable shots, only allow ties- forcing MB formations. You could make DNA blocks of code, with a "master gene" that regulates their activation and combinations, etc. The sky (if you choose to make it) is your limit, lol.

intresting, could you elaborate further on your idea? a "master gene"?

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »
In this situation, the DNA has 2 parts, the reference part and the master part. The reference is just blocks of code. The master genes regulate which section of the reference and what combinations are activated. It is a different type of abstraction.

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »
In this situation, the DNA has 2 parts, the reference part and the master part. The reference is just blocks of code. The master genes regulate which section of the reference and what combinations are activated. It is a different type of abstraction.

could you give a.. theoretical example of how this DB dna code would look like? :)

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »
Obv stripped down.
part 1
if x
a
if !x & y
b
if x &y
c

a- meh store
b- blah inc
c- generic phrase dec

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
Obv stripped down.
part 1
if x
a
if !x & y
b
if x &y
c

a- meh store
b- blah inc
c- generic phrase dec

so basically nested cond-itions? :) intresting idea, and how would this look in DB code?

cond
condition 1
start
statement 1
cond
condition 2
start
statement 2
stop
stop
or something

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
:P It would be confusing. Ill give it a run after Christmas.

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »
:P It would be confusing. Ill give it a run after Christmas.

:D yes
edit: merry christmass :)

on another note, after carefull consideration (not really, it was pretty easy to change my mind), i have decided to make the code into a JAVA library instead and upload the jar and source to github for anyone to use, by doing this, anyone should be able to quickly create their own java darwinbots program,. ofcourse due to the extreme complexity and awesomeness of darwinbots, this (like.. all projects) will take alot of time, but i'll do my best and when i feel that its ready, i'll definetly share the link here

but yeah, by using this library, my hope is to make it easy for people to make a darwinbots-like software/game, though well see if i can manage this succesfully! :)

i'll also try make a real darwinbot clone/fan version by using my own library like initially planned in this post :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:00:07 PM by endercrypt »

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 08:02:26 PM »
question: according to http://wiki.darwinbots.com/w/Execution_Flag no type of store command is allowed to execute whitin
COND ... START
can store commands still exist and mutate into this position?

edit: also, when executing an operator like for example.. store (whitin the COND ... START) will it still take 2 values from the stack and then do nothing? thank you

thank you
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:13:05 PM by endercrypt »

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 12:08:33 AM »
yes store commands can and often times do evolve in the cond start section like the sim i am currently running, and yes the values on the stack do nothing. either they disappear or are untouched idk. however values can gene hop and be executable in later genes(an unused value in gene 1 can be executable in gene 5 for example) this could ably to the cond start values being executable in the start stop section too.

Offline EnderCrypt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »
yes store commands can and often times do evolve in the cond start section like the sim i am currently running, and yes the values on the stack do nothing. either they disappear or are untouched idk. however values can gene hop and be executable in later genes(an unused value in gene 1 can be executable in gene 5 for example) this could ably to the cond start values being executable in the start stop section too.

values can genehop?? wait, the stack persists through multiple genes? is there a COND ... START stack persisting through all genes COND ... START and so on?