Bots and Simulations > DNA - General

Viruses

(1/2) > >>

Numsgil:
I'm trying to make a virus that uses the new *.thisgene I'm working on to propogate itself.

But I don't know how to go about using the virus code.  I could look it up but I think everyone would benefit from someone showing how to use it here.

Start from the beginning, and go through the process step by step.

PurpleYouko:
Righty ho then (flexes fingers)

It is a bit awkward I guess.

To make a virus you should follow these steps.
* 1 Decide which of your own genes to copy into the virus.
* 2 Apply this to the .mkvirus command. eg  This will copy gene 5 into a temporary storage array to create the virus.
--- Code: --- 5 .mkvirus store
--- End code ---

* 3 It takes a finite amount of time to copy this gene into the virus so at the beginning of the process, the gene length is calculated and this value is placed into a count-down timer which can be accessed by the robot via .vtimer. This is a read only value indicating how long you have to wait till the virus is ready.
* 4 Once .vtimer reaches zero, the virus is ready and it can be fired by placing any non-zero value into .vshoot. this will shoot the virus straight forward. (You can't use backshot with it as far as I can remember)I did play around with allowing the number stored into .vshoot to give a gene address in the target robot to insert the virus at but this idea was abandoned due to being totally and utterly unrealistic.

Hope this helps

:D  PY  :D

Numsgil:
One small caveat:

vtimer is 1 when there is a virus ready to fire.  0 if there is no virus ready to fire, > 1 if there is still time left to wait.

Other than that great guide!  I made a self replicating virus.  Made a dummy species that only fired the virus.  Ymir wiped it out quickly but not before being infected.

Now there's nothing but viruses flying all over the screen!  Bwahahaha!

PurpleYouko:
Many little blue dots huh?  

<_<  PY  <_<

Numsgil:
:D

This could be alot of fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version