Author Topic: Beyond inc/dec/store?  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:25:01 PM »
I was just wondering if there were any other ways to manipulate a memory location? I figure the more ways DB's can change them the better the evolution could become.

I've looked into concatenating, it sounds like it could be useful, but I'm not sure. :unsure:

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 09:03:14 AM »
I've actually changed the DNA code (just the internals of how it works) so commands that modify the DNA are all in the same group.  Bottom line is that I've actually planned around the program accepting new store commands types.

Oh, and inc and dec in 2.4 now cost a bit of energy (I'd have to look and see.  I think it's less than store, or maybe equal to) but they can also modify the first 10 sysvars now.  I noticed alot of mutations use inc and dec instead of store because they only have to get one value right, so I made sure that bots can use them to evolve things like moving and shooting.

For a while we had addstore, etc. in the program that added a value to a certain memory location.  But I never found a good use for them (and apparently neither has anyone else).

I suppose we could have a command that randomized the value of a memory location.  It would be like static interference.  You could use it for things like turning (turning is always fun if you wobble around drunkenly) or as an attack to scramble another bots memory via an info shot.  But then you're really only saving one command instead of using the rnd command.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:37:19 PM »
but they can also modify the first 10 sysvars now.

:lol: I was wondering why some of the bots were using a *.genes(10) rnd inc recently. I just thought it may have only been that .shootval was immune to not inc/dec. Thanks :)

Glad to hear inc/dec cost something, I was thinking that they made way too much too easy for the bots.

I briefly used the addstr as a shortcut for a averaging test of rnd numbers(DB is very effective in this regard). But like everyone else couldn't find too many other uses.

I don't know what would really work to add to the trio... The reason I thought concationation might be helpful is for long chains of information storage(as a very long Long). A possible use could be to tell if several identical actions have been taken by a bot over multiple cycles. Something like that might be useful for limiting repetive actions not directly benneficial. It could be done with massive amounts of stores but the nrg loss would likely be prohibitive.

I don't know, just seems kind of limited with just the three.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 09:46:58 PM »
I don't know, just seems kind of limited with just the three.
Totally.

Have you been running 2.4?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 09:47:19 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »
Yep, been fun :)

Going to have to go back through with an eye to using more inc/dec now.  :lol: Time for paybacks from The One...maybe.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
Sounds like 3.4 finaly has mutations working? am I right?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 02:38:31 PM »
First it's 2.4.  Second, mutations shouldn't be working I think.  I was working on something, but I don't remember how far I got with it.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Beyond inc/dec/store?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 05:57:57 PM »
Oops disregard, I was thinking you were asking about the last vers. I'll double check on shootval latter.