Author Topic: PATTERNS! I'VE NOTICED A FORUM PATTERN!!!  (Read 5587 times)

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
PATTERNS! I'VE NOTICED A FORUM PATTERN!!!
« on: December 13, 2014, 06:30:49 AM »
Every other year DB has a SURGE of new members
Yearly Summary          New Topics           New Posts           New Members           Most Online
+ 2014                           472                    3779                803                       40
+ 2013                           2518                    3741                36312                       55
+ 2012                           74                    599                        5757                       58
+ 2011                           130                    691                        10819                       61
+ 2010                           70                    567                        392                       27
These are statistics from the forum and the ORANGE ones are where the surges are...
So what about 2015 (june/may time)?
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: PATTERNS! I'VE NOTICED A FORUM PATTERN!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
It might be partially spammers figuring out the anti-spam stuff we put in and then spamming again.  I feel like that might track with a 2 year cycle.

I can tell you right now we definitely did NOT get 36000 new forum users in 2013 :D

Where are you pulling the numbers from?  Is that a feature of the forum?

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
Go to the homepage of the forum...Scroll to the bottom, and you'll see a bit called forum stats....in that small section click [more stats] and it'll show you...
These aren't editted figures from there, it also says the time you've been (active...viewing etc.) on the forum...I botsareus is about 14 days...and the top posters, of which you are top of all.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
Yes I was quite prolific back in the day :D

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
Hey nums, could you do a favour and move all the bots in starting gate (excluding all eyes 1.5) to the F1 league, and run a league (my computer can't handle a sim with more than 4 starting species...and dies when it has teriyaki in for more than 5K cycles alone!) Botsareus has just...err, abandoned us.

But Its weird these figures right? I mean, can accounts be deleted, because were at roughly 400 members now? So every year but 2010 is above...

Fun feature of the forum though. Wonder if I'll ever be immortalised in 1 of those figures :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »
Hey nums, could you do a favour and move all the bots in starting gate (excluding all eyes 1.5) to the F1 league, and run a league (my computer can't handle a sim with more than 4 starting species...and dies when it has teriyaki in for more than 5K cycles alone!) Botsareus has just...err, abandoned us.

I'm not really set up to run the leagues, actually :/  There's a fair bit of black magic that goes in to getting it to work.

But Its weird these figures right? I mean, can accounts be deleted, because were at roughly 400 members now? So every year but 2010 is above...

I periodically go through and delete any users who have registered >= 6 months ago and haven't posted anything.  90%+ of these users are spammers that didn't complete the registration process because of the anti spam stuff we have in place.  There's probably some legitimate users in there too who just never got around to posting, but I figure they can reregister if/when they want to post stuff.  Better than having a huge number of fake users.

Fun feature of the forum though. Wonder if I'll ever be immortalised in 1 of those figures :D

Well you are certainly on pace for it :D

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
Shame you not being set up for leagues...Can you like...pester botsareus then for me...Its insanitising me it just clogging up, Im becoming tempted to search in developer for a weakness in this forums, then just put a huge message saying DO THE LEAGUES BOTSAREUS. DO THE LEAGUES. for when he logs on.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »
I think he's taking a break for the holidays.  Patience, young Padawan :)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »

..and the posts used to make more sense back then, which is something I miss here nowadays.  :closedeyes:
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
I think he's taking a break for the holidays.  Patience, young Padawan :)
:) Thats funny, I was meant to be born on May the Forth (be with you (official star wars appreciations day)) and my initials are LS.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
Yea, I kinda lost my patience with vb6 (and db2) that last set of hacks. I am considering finishing my mod to get zerobot to work but no more.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
Yea, I kinda lost my patience with vb6 (and db2) that last set of hacks. I am considering finishing my mod to get zerobot to work but no more.
Just dont do IM and do leagues instead?
I mean, I lost patience with IM and its incompatibility.