Author Topic: Win Xp compatible?  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Win Xp compatible?
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »
Heh , like often when I retry darwinbots 2 I got annoyed at certain limitations , conceptual problems, so I thought: lets see I am  just a hobby programmer but maybe I find something I can help with to speed darwinbots 3 development up.
So after I finally figured out how to download a subversion file(shamefully years after I encountered the first svn directory in the internet)
I first tried to open it on visual c# studio express 2010 but, when that was incompatible I tried to install 2013 unfortunately I have been to lazy and stingy to replace my windows xp so not possible.
Then it hit me does darwinbots 3 use NET 4.5? will it be even compatible with windows xp?

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Win Xp compatible?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
Oh good god, well....
Some sad news for you, WinXP is no longer supported...In other words, programs have stopped being programmed to work with in (90% of the time).
Its to outdated, for gods sake...They're already starting Win10 (though not Win9, probably to distance themselves for Win8 which is worse than Win7).
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »
Dude I know its not supported anymore, you think I am stupid?
I just had not really any problems beside 1 game yet with windows xp and that game strangely run on an even older pc with windows xp.
Fact is work on darwinbots 3 started before xp support was canceled before 2013 and most likely before NET 4.5.

So I am thankful for the reply but if you can not clearly answer the question and do not have anything sensible to say maybe less words are better.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
Yes, DB3 targets .Net 4.5.1, probably was a automatic migration when the project switched to VS2013. As a result xp is indeed not compatible with DB3. Sadly it doesn't work on XP anymore. But it's something that would be done eventually, can't stick with older .Net versions just to stick with XP(for a program that's not released yet). Although the .Net 4.5 update is relatively minor, I didn't even realize it didn't support XP.
Maybe it's even a small change to keep support open for .Net 4 for a while longer, but that's something Numsgil should answer.

I think windows 8  works splendid. Not all is perfect(using metro & desktop apps at the same time is annoying), but overall it works quite well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:20:21 PM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »
Thx peter guess I will have to continue to prepare a multiboot system,because  with all the data and software I collected its a pain in the ass to move everything or to find where the hell I got the software from etc. so no way I am going to try to transfer everything to another windows ^^

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 04:52:26 AM »
Ahh good ol' multiboots
1 Linux Ubuntu, 1 Windows 8.1 (which I never use?) and 2 Windows 7 (1 for development and 1 for, my stuff :3)
And my computer can still run games at 30 FPS
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:17:07 PM »
I've generally kept DB3 targeted against the latest .NET SDK.  The last one wasn't very impressive, but Soon there's going to be fun stuff to play with, so I'm trying to keep it targeted against the latest SDKs and IDEs.

You may be able to get the program to run against Mono.  99% of the code is just generic C#.  The math library Azimuth has a C++ preprocessor that was compiled for Windows, so that wouldn't run on linux, but it might run on XP.  The graphics library is targetting DX9, so that too won't work on linux (without maybe Wine or something along those lines) but it might work on XP.  But I'll definitely say XP is not a supported platform (in fact, the only supported platform is whichever one I happen to be programming on :P  Right now it's windows 7, but I might go to win10 when that's a thing).

If you're sticking with XP right now because of cost, I hear rumblings on the blogosphere that Microsoft is thinking about releasing a version of windows 8 for free.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
Do you mean windows with bing? That's just for new tablets with a size <9 inch, bigger tablets get a discount. Almost seems coordinated with intel, who also put the atom chips for tablets on sale. Seems they want to enter the budget tablet market, the resulting tablets start around 80 euro including a one year subscription for office 365.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
Oh, I thought there was some rumblings about it for Desktop, but I can't find any mention of it online so it must just be windows with bing :/

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
yes beside laziness, and a kind of hoarding attitude that has accumulated a lot of stuff on my pc, the cost was definitely a factor I waited with a new operating system.
I think I will try to get it a christmas present from someone XD.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
Ahh, why not...

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
This is amazing Numsgil, thx for the link.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »
... I hear rumblings on the blogosphere that Microsoft is thinking about releasing a version of windows 8 for free.

That would be surprisingly humble of them, unless it's a very chopped down version.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
hohum, I thought they did already release it for free... I guess they still did not ...

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 06:55:30 AM »
Well, it usually comes pre-installed when you buy a new computer, especially laptops, so in that regard it's free.

I wouldn't recommend such an install for security reasons though. Better to buy it separately so you can configure it how you want it installed, without a bunch of junk software of trial versions etc.

Just like I don't want someone else to furnish my home I want to choose my computer parts and software.  ;)
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.