Author Topic: DNA Writing Tool in Java  (Read 5443 times)

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DNA Writing Tool in Java
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »
I have decided to write a tool to assist in the creation of Bots using Java.

I have lots of fundamental things to work on before it gets anywhere, but I need to know what features everyone wants.

I plan to make it capable of converting to AND from a new language that I will probably make up as I go.
I will try to make the language very general so that people with experience in Java, C++, or C# (don't know if C users will be good, but I imagine they would) can understand it instantly.

So here is what I know for sure:

-It will be object-oriented
-It will allow for variables to be used (as long as it can find room for them in the bot's memory.)
-It will have built-in Sysvar handling, so you don't have to wonder "What is memory location 50 for again?"
-It will be written in Java
-Therefore, it will work on any computer.

So what I need now is feedback and feature suggestions.
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!

Offline Ta-183

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DNA Writing Tool in Java
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
Personally, my ideal language would be a spaghetti-code type language that would treat each gene as say a TI-83 would treat a program. I guess what I mean is that I want simplicity and ease of use, coupled with a powerful yet easy to use math library. TI-BASIC was very easy for me to learn (nesting condtitions was very easy, GoTo's made branching easy, and the math functions of the calculator were simply indespensible) and allowed me to code out complicated ideas with a very simple and easy syntax. Once I created a system which would pit two A.I. players against eachother in dozens of rounds of rock paper scissors. The first one I made (based on statistically finding the most probable response to a given move) became pretty dang advanced, turning out to be a very crude neural net once I started adding some of it's secondary functions (a tiebreaking routine, an 'evasive' routine in case an opponent 'locked on' to it's output, and some other stuff related to data maintinence) but I sadly lost all of it to a RAM reset. I also find it to be easier to use than Python. If you look, Python's function system works almost just like calling a program as a subroutine in TI-BASIC, even allowing recursion. What I want is brain dead simple. Although I can live without goto's, which are impossible in DNA code.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DNA Writing Tool in Java
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »
Hey, what do you know, I didn't fall off the edge of the earth!

To be brutally honest, I'd rather have all free programming time go into the development of DB3, instead of translators and such, but that's just me.

But anyway, for this program, I'd like to have support for loops (like do...while, etc...), which afaik DB2 doesn't support in the code itself (for good reasons).

Also to make it as simple as possible would be nice, so it resembles Basic or Python.

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DNA Writing Tool in Java
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
Quote from: jknilinux
Hey, what do you know, I didn't fall off the edge of the earth!

To be brutally honest, I'd rather have all free programming time go into the development of DB3, instead of translators and such, but that's just me.

But anyway, for this program, I'd like to have support for loops (like do...while, etc...), which afaik DB2 doesn't support in the code itself (for good reasons).

Also to make it as simple as possible would be nice, so it resembles Basic or Python.

Well, actually all my spare time is going into DB3, but there are some times when there is nothing to do since Nums is doing a lot of the hard work.  I think I am able to work in a method to create loops, but I'm not 100% sure.

In any case, I might just drop this project if we get far enough into DB3 that it becomes pointless to continue with this.
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!