Author Topic: The randomizer  (Read 12215 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The randomizer
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
The randomizer runs every 2 seconds and freezes the sim for 10 seconds each time, which pretty much puts the sim to a stand-still. It would be nice if the randomizer worked a lot less often. What is it randomizing exactly? The dna?
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: The randomiser
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
Theres a randomiser? (do you mean .rnd?)
+ It doesnt freeze sim for me, and my computers pretty basic.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: The randomizer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
It's not .rnd just rnd. You use a "." only when you are referring to a sysvar like .eye5

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »
ahh god, you remind me of a dirty minded inuendo from one of my friends to do with american punctuation lessons:
Never forget your periods and fingerspaces kids!
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »
NOO! I'm talking about the exe file "DarwinTrue2.48.25.exe"! It connects to random.org to generate random numbers that is supposed to affect DB somehow.

I wanted to test this how it works, but I'm only running the sim with this exe for a few seconds, then I save and load the sim with the other exe, hoping that the sim will have been affected by random.org.

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
Ok what it might be is it is connecting to random.org to get the random numbers and send it back to you. This could take some time to do it all especially if your Internet is slow.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
vb6 random number generator is pseudorandom. Random.org is truly random.

Pseudorandom means it's not really random and with enough research you'll find somewhat of a pattern in it. You won't have that with a real random number.

I know somewhat predictable pseudo random number generators are often a weakness in encryption protocols. I'll let botsareus explain the advantage of random.org over the normal vb6 rng in darwinbots2. I think all it does is use the random.org random numbers instead of the normal random numbers, you'll likely won't see a difference between vb6 random and random.org random.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:01:11 PM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 10:04:53 AM »
vb6 random number generator is pseudorandom. Random.org is truly random.

I know and it's a really cool idea to use this service in DB. It's something I've wanted for a very long time. Too bad though that right now it causes DB to only be able to run for 2 s every 10 s.

I'll let botsareus explain the advantage of random.org over the normal vb6 rng in darwinbots2.

I hope he'll get back here soon. I'm curious to know exactly how it works.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
Don't be too enthusiastic about that one Testlund. There are many things I wanted to have now too. Like freedom of speech, freedom to publicly publish code. Based on my latest zerobot experiments, I do not think the world is ready for this. I will have to review code publishing on university levels someday, if I ever consider making any of this stuff fully public ever again.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
I just hope to have recoverable code when the magic moment finally arrives. I am going to worry about my mental health in the mean time.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
...freedom to publicly publish code.

You must be talking about something other than Darwinbots here. So far there is nothing threatening the development of DB here.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
This conversation is seriously getting old but, freedom is power in my book, and with great power there is also responsibility.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »
This conversation is seriously getting old but, freedom is power in my book, and with great power there is also responsibility.
But you have to power, to deny you of that freedom, requiring greater responsibiltiy, and along with denying yourself the freedom to publish the code you be denying others the freedom to read it.

Also, your link I do not understand how this proves any point. Its pointing out that everyone is inactive and that you were inactive for a while...

Better quote though bot:
"With Knowledge comes power, with power comes one of two things, the pride and then the fall, or the simple sharing to enlighten those around."

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
Yea looks like you have serious case of the pride and the fall going on.  :)