Author Topic: Evolving Reproduction  (Read 11433 times)

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolving Reproduction
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
Quote from: Greven
It would indeed be funny to create a DNA parser, which could turn evolved DNA into a more readable form.

I tried to do it back when DNA was strictly divided in genes, but it's become more difficult now. I might give it another try though.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Evolving Reproduction
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 10:53:43 PM »
I've already done something similar for the sysvars in the version I've been working on and evolution is indeed noticably faster. Any storage location greater than 999 is moded to only the last three digits.

ie.
For: a b store
b = -31300 is moded to: b = 300

If you do the math it increases the probablity of useful mutations substantially.

Haven't quite decided on wether or not to place limits on the individual sysvars. Kind of tricky figuring out how much intervention is too much.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Evolving Reproduction
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 07:11:11 AM »
I whould love to see something done about this. It's been bugging me that the bots mostly gives allmost all of their body mass over to their offspring. They basically aren't reproducing, just overcoming the ageing cost this way, because the parents usually die after reproduction. The best thing imo whould be if you could make it so it's much more probable they give 50% of their body to their offspring to make it more like a dividing process, like real cingle cellular organisms. So only very high numbers whould result in more than 50% and only very low numbers whould result in less than 50%. Just a suggestion, but any improvement to how it is now whould be welcome.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:12:11 AM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Evolving Reproduction
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
The question of how to divide nrg between parent and child is fairly fundamental, so you don't want to create any bias in the decision.  At the moment, the distribution is fairly skewed towards higher values if bots are trying to stumble upon it by chance.

IMO bots are very good at "cheating" around any costs.  I think waste is a far better "aging" cost since when a bot divides, the waste and permanent waste divide along the same lines as body and nrg.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Evolving Reproduction
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Just use my algorithm. It is an advanced find best code at the core.