Author Topic: Basic issue  (Read 14377 times)

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« on: August 06, 2005, 10:28:47 PM »
Hi,
     I am a newbie and have encountered a fundamental problem. Everything works fine EXCEPT when I try to load a saved session nothing happens. Can anyone advise me on this?
        Thanks

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 10:32:39 PM »
You are running 2.36 I take it?  Whichever 2.37 says "internet ready" is the one that can load and save sims.  The problem was that we modded the program such that loading and saving stopped working.

Then we fixed it.  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 10:33:11 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 11:54:19 PM »
Thank you. I can load and save great now. I am new so I hope you'll excuse what will probably be a flurry of naive questions over the next few days. I notice that sometimes the robots are bound to algae with white lines similar to what bind the cells of multicellular creatures to each other. Am I correct in assumeing that this does not indicate a hybrid plant-animal entity but rather the robot is feeding off the algae? If this is so will one multicellular creature also do this to another multicellular creature as well, and if that is the case how does one tell where one creature stops and the other begins?
     Again, thank you

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 02:46:13 AM »
...a flurry of naive questions...
A furry of naive questions?  That sounds like a comic strip to me (jots down for use in own webcomic)

Feel free to ask any questions you feel like.  We all have thick skin around here, you can't get us mad or annoyed (unless you happen to be Botsareus, in which case it's your entire purpose in life :P (JK Bots))

The lines you are seeing are ties, and you are correct in assuming that the bots tying to veggies are feeding.  Ties are sort of like hollow rubber bands that connect two bots, and can be used to form permanent structures or temporary feeding holes.  I guess if you use them to feed, you can think of the tiebot as a kind of leech or mosquito.

Organisms don't become connected (and thus MultiBot (or MB)) until the ties are ~20 cycles old (or maybe it's 40, I can never remember).  If a feeding tie lasts that long, most bots will 99 .sharenrg store which transfers 99% of the combined veggie/bot energy to the bot, so it's rare to see many Bot/Veggie hybrids.

But it's not impossible.  Maybe PY built one at one point.

Give the PY tutorial on the FTP a look see.  It teaches you how to build somoe simple bots, and works up in complexity.  We also have a wiki help system, but it's rather limited at the moment.  Look at darwinbots.xwiki.com (most complete) or www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual where we're (slowly) moving all the wiki contents to.

ABE Links fixed by PY :D

Thnx I forgot to double check them :P Num
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 02:20:35 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 04:28:26 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply. (By the way it was flurry not furry :) )
What do the different colors of the ties mean?
     Thanks

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 05:55:25 AM »
(By the way it was flurry not furry :) )

:P

They tell you what the tie is doing.  I believe Red means its transfering energy.  The other colors escape me at the moment since they tend to be multibot exclusive.

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 01:08:01 PM »
Is there a manual that addresses things a newbie might ask?
    Thanks

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 05:36:48 PM »
You could mosey on over to the Wiki manual, which I believe has a link near the bottom of the forums page.
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 05:57:41 PM »
Thanks
Red = energy transfer
White = information transfer
Yellow = sharing (Applies to energy, waste, slime or shell)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 06:02:43 PM »
Maybe PY built one at one point.
I have built quite a few hybrids that rely on a bot feeding a captive veggy with all its waste then skimming off 90% of their combined energy.

The most notable was probably T-Swimmer. (Not sure if this is actually in the beastiary or not) It might not work properly in 2.37 though as it was built to highlight and utilize a free energy bug that has since been fixed.
and those who don't

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 08:43:42 PM »
When creatures are sharing as indicated by a yelllow connecting bar, how does one know whether it is sharing waste, slime or shell?
Sometimes I notice an extremely long connecting line which disappears almost instantly. It is too fast for me to tell what it's doing. Is the creature attacking someting far away? or reproducing long range?
     Thanks

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 09:17:42 PM »
When creatures are sharing as indicated by a yelllow connecting bar, how does one know whether it is sharing waste, slime or shell?

You can't really.

Sometimes I notice an extremely long connecting line which disappears almost instantly. It is too fast for me to tell what it's doing. Is the creature attacking someting far away? or reproducing long range?

Sounds like an annoying bug I fixed a while ago.  Which bot and settings are you using?

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 08:17:59 AM »
I am on cycle 938937 and began with the ancestral bot with plants. Do you need any other info?

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 08:54:26 AM »
I think he means which version.

The phantom tie bug was fixed in the early 2.36 versions.
For some reason robots would tie to points on the screen now and then or become tied to an impossibly distant bot.
Ties automatically snap if they get longer than 1000 twips so these would only last for a single cycle.
and those who don't

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 01:12:38 AM »
This is an amazing program. Are there plans for further development?