Author Topic: Basic issue  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 02:49:07 AM »
You bet your sweet ass there is!  (Oh, that was presumptuous of me.  I assumed you had an ass and that it was sweet.)

It's in more or less constant development.  Constant meaning as often as the two programmers (PY and myself) have time to actually program and feel like it.  Whcih tends to be oftener than you'd think, but still not nearly enough for the veracious DBers.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 08:42:01 AM »
I am actually taking a bit of a back seat for a while and letting Numsgil get the next major update out. It is kind of pointless to get involved in this right now as he is modifying pretty much everything.
After that I will jump back in with both feet and help debug/improve it.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 12:15:53 PM »
Recently you were kind enough to tell me the meaning of the colors of the ties between the cells of the multicellular creatures. White means the exchange of information but what information is being exchanged?
    Thanks

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »
Could be anything.  Basically when one bot writes directly to another bot's memory, the tie turns white.  What is being written is much harder to guess.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 09:57:01 PM »
The number the tier puts in tieval is being to transfered to the memory location (memloc) specified by tieloc. To find out this you "should" be able to look in the debug console(not sure on this, some stuff resets every cycle) or look directly in the dna.

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 10:05:16 PM »
Does anyone think it might be a good idea to have the address and information displayed by the bot being written to? Although it might not be easy to see when running normally, running cycle by cycle would allow you to get this important info.
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 01:06:55 PM »
A while ago you said that Darwinbots is being largely rewritten for its next incarnation. Do you have any estimate as to when it will be released
     Thanks

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 06:20:32 PM »
There isn't a whole lot more work needed on it.  The only problem is I have school starting soon, so it'll be a while before I can really sit down and start working on it.  I'm sure PY is in the same situation at the moment (maybe not with classes, I dunno.)

So maybe next month-ish.

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 08:08:08 PM »
This is a great program. I am truely looking forward to the next edition. Good luck. If you need any beta testers I'm available.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2005, 11:13:38 PM »
In the mean time don't be afraid to play around with 2.37.4.  I'd like to get it fairly stable so it can become the next stable release.  To do that I need people isolating bugs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 11:13:55 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2005, 12:08:46 AM »
Just wondering, would you prefer any bugs posted as they are found, or a list made over time and then posted? Or does it make no difference to you?
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2005, 08:59:16 AM »
As you go works better.  And if you have a few seconds you can even tryr to isolate where in the code the problem is occurring.

Be sure to set the user seed for the random number generator so your bugs can be reproduced reliably.  And the autosave works wonders as well.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 12:31:11 PM »
My problem right now is that I have a massive interactive Radio-Isotope database that I have to finish designing by the end of September.

I haven't even had the chance to look at the new code yet.  :(
and those who don't

Offline Enyawnej

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 12:37:51 PM »
When I add a wall to a run the program halts and I get a message "run time error 6 Overflow"  What would advise I do?
        Thanks

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Basic issue
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »
What would advise I do?
Stop putting walls in.  :rolleyes:

Sorry if this isn't helpful but we know the program is full of bugs. They will all be fixed eventually but for now we will just have to work around them.

Incidentally the last time I used walls they worked just fine. How big a wall did you add.

[little known fact]Walls are actually made of robots so if you make them too big you run the risk of filling up the robots array and getting an overflow[/little known fact]
and those who don't