Author Topic: Newbie. trouble updating  (Read 3546 times)

Offline jcobreros

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Newbie. trouble updating
« on: December 09, 2005, 11:58:42 AM »
Hi, I have a problem when updating to the lastest versions.
Ver 2.1 works great, then I saw theres many new versions so I tried to update.
I downloaded v2.4, copied the .exe and sysvars2.21.txt. Also I downloaded the new default.set and put it into the settings folder, overwritting the old one. Edited the line with the correct path for the robots, and put hunter V2.2 in the robots folder.
Now I open the program, start a new default simulation and all the bots fall down very fast.
I've tried to update a couple of times, because I thought I was doing something wrong, but it remains the same.
Also, I've tried with version 2.37.6, and everything seems ok (had to use sysvars2.21 from the 2.4 zip file, because theres none in that versions zip file (I've read theres backwards compatibility with that)) and when I start a new simulation, the screen gets full of bots in a couple of seconds, so the program runs very slow.
What am I doing wrong?
I'd like to make 2.4.A work fine (with the default options set, to see how its meant to be before starting to tweak things). Any ideas of what im doing wrong?
thank you very much. great program!

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Newbie. trouble updating
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:57:09 PM »
Hi jcobreros and welcom to the forum

As far as the sysvars file goes, the one in the 2.4 version is more or less the same as the one for 2.37.6. It may contain one or wo extra syvar codes but they will not effect the way the game runs.

It seems as if you may be giving your bots too much energy per cycle from your settings. Also Hunter 2.2 was designed as a formula one combat bot with a tendency to breed as fast as possible. Just give him a good food source and you get a full screen in a few hundred cycles.

Try something a little more sedate like Circumversor Cantharis. he was a pretty good bot a few versions back and still runs reasonably well.

Even better, download my tutorial from the DarwinBots.com site if you haven't already worked through it. It contains various versions of "Simplebot" from the very basic to the complex along with explanations of how it works.

Finally, here is a copy of the default settings file that I use. You will probably need to change the robots though.

Have fun and let us know if you still run into trouble
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Newbie. trouble updating
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 01:31:45 PM »
Bots falling down in 2.4 means you need to turn off gravity.  It's under the physics and costs tab.  While you're there open up the costs panel and hit the default costs button so bots spend energy when they do stuff.

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Newbie. trouble updating
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 05:53:08 PM »
Bots falling down in 2.4 means you need to turn off gravity.  It's under the physics and costs tab.  While you're there open up the costs panel and hit the default costs button so bots spend energy when they do stuff.
yes ...
and DO check that nrg/cycle thing for the veggies ...
I still forget sometimes when uploading a setting that was probably
an old 2.21 one ... or an earier version into ver 2.37.6 ...
and find the energy set to 50000/cycle!!!!!!
that was exactly the reason for the crashes I was getting when first
starting out as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 05:53:51 PM by Griz »
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Newbie. trouble updating
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 07:35:34 PM »
2.4 should autocorrect that little difficulty for you now, BTW.