Author Topic: Who else is online?  (Read 70542 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Who else is online?
« Reply #270 on: April 18, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »
Well it is really a central server now, just nothing checking the data to make sure it is sane.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 18, 2015, 07:49:32 PM »
Also on the personal spin, there was a reasonably nifty virus on my laptop completely screwing with vb6 memory. To the point where my paranoia won and I have decided to take a break :/

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2015, 06:03:27 AM »
Also on the personal spin, there was a reasonably nifty virus on my laptop completely screwing with vb6 memory. To the point where my paranoia won and I have decided to take a break :/
Let me guess, you used norton.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2015, 06:45:58 AM »
Let me guess... Nobody is using this security software but me  8):

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
Let me guess... Nobody is using this security software but me  8):

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php
Nope, using Kaspersky, and because of my families deep delving to find advantages that can be gained, at virtually no cost either.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
Well, Comodo Internet Security has a free version that I linked to, in my opinion the best security software that you can get for home computers. It has tons of configuration options, but that may be too much of a learning curve for most users. It's well worth it though imo.

People were questioning this company in the beginning cause they couldn't believe they could just deliver such an advanced security program for free, unless there is a catch. But they're doing it to increase their reputation and earn trust in their company, to make people buy some of their other security solutions.

I highly recommend people to try it out. They have a forum with lots of tips how to configure it for maximum security.

The firewall even has a Paranoid Mode you can switch too, but I haven't tried that myself. I think it's overkill that may cause too much problems with safe applications.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:43:39 AM by Testlund »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »
Nice. Now I only need to catch Peter when getting ready for the next drop.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »
I've tried comodo. Worked quite well for a while, I did like the options, then after a update it accessed my hdd continuously. A reinstall didn't fix it, not using any firewall besides the default windows firewall now. Using AVG as a virusscanner.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »
Ay, I am planning in investing a couple 100 in a decent firewall. The way peterIM works, all I need is port 79 open right? If not, what are the other ports used for?

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
Ay, I am planning in investing a couple 100 in a decent firewall. The way peterIM works, all I need is port 79 open right? If not, what are the other ports used for?

Im just wishing IM opens multiple ports one day :)
Anyway, Kaspersky has this interesting thing where at a really low cost you can buy a version 2 or 3  years old. Then it lets you update for free to the latest version.
I have Kaspersky, Microsoft forefront gateway (and for my developer OS AVG)

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »
Port 79 outgoing, you can also set comodo up so only PeterIM(so no other applications) can do outbound connections to 'ip-address server' on port 79.

Personally I wouldn't spend money on security software unless you've got solid ground to believe it's better than the free stuff. I would first try out comodo and other free firewalls before you're spending cash.

Won't happen. You can also give a list of ports you're able to make outbound connections, and I could look if that's a port I can make default.

Isn't MFG only for windows server?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
I've tried comodo. Worked quite well for a while, I did like the options, then after a update it accessed my hdd continuously. A reinstall didn't fix it, not using any firewall besides the default windows firewall now. Using AVG as a virusscanner.

When was that?

I remember when Comodo was new it had some issues. One issue that happened with a new update was that it would block a legitimate file necessary to boot Windows, where people had to make a complete re-install of Windows! They were quick to fix that though, but I just happened to be one of the unlucky ones installing the update before they fixed it, so I had to re-install Window. That is in the past now and I think it works excelent now.

Of course there is always a delicate balance what to allow. The firewall can't know everything. Typically people just disable features in their firewall because they get tired of the warnings, without really having any understanding of what software to trust.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »
Somewhere around 18 months/2 years ago.

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2015, 11:26:04 AM »
Port 79 outgoing, you can also set comodo up so only PeterIM(so no other applications) can do outbound connections to 'ip-address server' on port 79.

Personally I wouldn't spend money on security software unless you've got solid ground to believe it's better than the free stuff. I would first try out comodo and other free firewalls before you're spending cash.

Won't happen. You can also give a list of ports you're able to make outbound connections, and I could look if that's a port I can make default.

Isn't MFG only for windows server?
Not only for windows server, just like windows 2000.
It just scans any 'suspicious' downloads normally.
Ok I was just checking ports but I can't seem to find a working port checker...

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 29, 2015, 09:31:31 AM »
IM seems to be down right now. I sent Peter a PM. It has been a year since my last drop so do not know when or if I will get a reply.