General > Biology

Metabolism

<< < (3/7) > >>

PurpleYouko:

--- Quote ---some way for plants to form energy from "nothing", etc.
--- End quote ---
Just use sunlight as a metabolite. Then you can link photosytnthesis processes into it.

That's one heck of a complex system you have come up with. Hope it isn't too complex.

Numsgil:
I was thinking about sunlight as a metabolite, except it has some problems.  Plants don't really use sunlight to form physical "sunlight" molecules.  They use it to drive a reaction that is uphill.

The hardest part is figuring how the heck the bots can control it all.  That'll be the hard part.

PurpleYouko:
But you don't need to overcomplicate it with needlessly conforming to reality.

In the universe of DB, bots can litterally have an enzyme that directly converts sunlight to energy. It just doesn't matter.

Personally I think that making DB conform to actual reality will be detrimental. Keep it conceptual.

Numsgil:
What I meant is more that sunlight is used to go in a direction that free energy would not go spontaneously.  So I'm thinking there'd be a way for an enzyme to figure out how to use sunlight to drive its reaction in reverse, or something like that.

PurpleYouko:
What does it matter. We don't need to model real chemistry.

If you do though, just think of it as a catalyst without which a normal forward reaction cannot proceed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version