Author Topic: Hi! From a new guy, and of course a few questions!  (Read 4529 times)

Offline vrukt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Hi! From a new guy, and of course a few questions!
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
Hello! Firstly, I cannot say how much I love this program! It is very interesting, and seems to have a ton of potential.

Now for the inevitable question questions.

I've been trying to make a basic bot, I've never made one before, so I thought I would approximate yeast using pondmode.

It's 1 cell, should be simple right? Well I broke it down as; absorbing light instead of sugar, giving off waste (maybe .nrg to), floating to the surface and sinking back down to the bottom, and budding to reproduce.

So everything went smoothly, except for making it sink and float.

I wanted to attach that to light, so when it got under a certain amount of light it floated, and when it got to another percentage it started to sink again.

I tried

cond
*.light 10 <
start
32000 .setboy store
stop

cond
*.light 90 >
start
-32000 .setboy store
stop

I've also tried a lot of differen't combinations based on that, but I've also fiddled with .sun a bit, lower values on the .setboy, playing with the values on the .light, but I can't seem to get it to float and sink based on the light energy.

However as I have no clue what I'm doing, and don't know the values for .setboy or .light, as well as not being able to find much info about them, does anybody know if that is even possible? Or if I'm heading in slightly the right direction?

I know .setboy has a max value of 32000, but to get back to 0," 0 .setboy store" didn't seem to work so I used -32000

My brothers solution was to just tie .nrg to .ypos. When it gets too low on energy it moves up, and when it fills up to a certain point it shoots energy to drop down. Then stops, and starts moving back up. It actually works very nicely, and he's onto fiddling with reproduction.

I'm being stubborn though, so any tips towards the .light vs .setboy would be much appreciated.
When is it alive?

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! From a new guy, and of course a few questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:37:50 AM »
When you are using .light, what are you expecting from that, the amount of light it is receiving because of how far away it is from the top?

Offline vrukt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
When you are using .light, what are you expecting from that, the amount of light it is receiving because of how far away it is from the top?

Yes. I had the light set to a gradient in the pond mode. At least that's what it appears to be. I have no clue about the values, or if .light is even usable in that manner (tied to movement, instead of chloroplasts)

My understanding was 100% light at the top, tapering off towards 0% light at the bottom, based on the "light intensity = 100" setting for pond mode. I also have sediment set to 10 and magnitude sent to 6, which leaves the example picture showing a fairly nice gradient.

On the sysvar's wiki page, it lists .light under the "chloroplasts" heading. Which is leading me to believe the .light variable is only used to refer to .chlr, .mkchlr, etc.
When is it alive?

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
Yeah, it is unfortunately. I think your brother's way of doing it is probably the best.

Offline vrukt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
Darn thought so.

Thanks for the help though, you really put an end to my wild-goose chase.  :D

Will modify mine now to compete with his for the most "real" looking yeast.
When is it alive?

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »
.light is bot density of the sim

Offline vrukt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
Just density? It seemed to imply it was measuring the light, which would change as a result of bot density, but it's purely just bot density?
When is it alive?

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
the higher the density the less effective chlr is. at some point it becomes a negative thing to have loosing nrg.

Offline vrukt

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:05 AM »
Ah I see, so it's more a substitute of light measurement, rather than an actual value of light being projected into the simulation.
When is it alive?

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
correct

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
Every feature in the program is designed to monitor a very specific function. This is part of my design philosophy. You have to read a description of a feature to be able to use it correctly. A note that Panda did not mention possible confusion to me during R&D, I do not find that unfortunate because I forgive him.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:57:12 PM by Botsareus »