Author Topic: Is sexual reproduction broken?  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Is sexual reproduction broken?
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
I've been writing a bot (Rapeseed) that's supposed to shoot sperm at other bots when attacked and force sexual reproduction, and if its gene appears in the child bot then it deletes the other genes, becoming a clone of Rapeseed, if you see what I mean. It isn't working. The attacker bot is fertilized and .sexrepro is set to 99, but it refuses to undergo sexual reproduction. The memory locations .fertilized and .sexrepro then become fixed at (usually) 9 and 99 respectively after Rapeseed is dead. To my knowledge, that isn't meant to happen.

Is this a bug, or does sexual reproduction perhaps only work between bots of the same species?

Edit: Here's the DNA of Rapeseed so far, just in case it's something to do with that.

Code: [Select]
'Rapeseed

def forcerep 100

start
*.thisgene 2 sub -1 mult 0 floor 2 mult *.thisgene 1 sub sgn add *.genes 1 sub sgn mult .delgene store
16000 *.chlr sub abs .mkchlr 16000 *.chlr sub sgn 0 floor mult .rmchlr *.chlr 16000 sub sgn 0 floor mult add store
*.nrg *.body sub abs .strbody *.nrg *.body sub sgn 0 floor mult .fdbody *.body *.nrg sub sgn 0 floor mult add store
.aimdx inc
*.nrg 5000 sub sgn 0 floor 50 mult .repro store
*.shang *.shflav sgn abs mult .aimshoot store
*.forcerep 1 sub abs .forcerep store
-8 *.forcerep 1 sub abs mult .sexrepro *.forcerep mult add *.shflav abs sgn mult .shoot store
99 *.forcerep mult .shootval store
stop
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:31:12 PM by Billy »
"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars."

-Charles Darwin

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Is sexual reproduction broken?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Been a while Billy, welcome back.
Robots must be similar enough to reproduce, if a robot is less then 40% similar then the mother has a 'birth defect' and can not get prego again for 8 cycles.
Attached is two robots I love to test sexrepro with.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Hey! :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »
Billy, try a virus...

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Hi Panda. :)

Thanks for the welcome, and the bots, Botsareus. I was not aware of that feature of sexual reproduction, perhaps it was added since I was last active here. I have made similar bots using viruses before now.
"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars."

-Charles Darwin

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
I think it might have been, to be honest! I cannot remember now, though.

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
I think it might have been, to be honest! I cannot remember now, though.

I'm pretty sure it was, I seem to remember "rapebots" existing before.

-Charles Darwin

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
I ended up doing a complete overhaul of sexrepro last year and writing a paper on it. It is based on 'find longest common sequences' (an idea from Numsgil) Now how to publish?  :)

Offline Billy

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
I ended up doing a complete overhaul of sexrepro last year and writing a paper on it. It is based on 'find longest common sequences' (an idea from Numsgil) Now how to publish?  :)

Right, yeah, that explains it. Brings it slightly closer to sexual reproduction IRL, but I suppose in this case, a bot represents and entire multicellular organism, rather than a single cell.

-Charles Darwin

Offline spork22

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »
Maybe that's why multibots aren't very common. It's kind of like a three-legged race. The bots can function on their own, so why tie them together?
Hubba Jubba Lollywash!

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
Robots tend to de-evolve sexrepro very often as well. I actually had to put a check called "Disable asexual reproduction for un-repopulating robots" on the edit menu to force robots to reproduce sexually. I conclude that it takes a long time and millions of mutations for multibotness and sexual reproduction to become useful, just like in real life.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
Here is a counter argument that Numsgil is supposedly addressing with DB3. Robots in DB2 do not need unique ability to move and to see. While in real life, single celled bacteria can not swim really fast and needs to form an organism to swim faster. Travel on land is the same issue, but is even harder to accomplish as basic swimming motion does not work. Finally, an eye organ needs to form to be able to see. An advantage being that you can see reasonably far away. Which is impossible to do in DB2.

However, all this requires very smart logic and powerful hardware to get a responsible frame rate.