Author Topic: Settings from 2.47.03 will be messed up in 2.47.04  (Read 7179 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Settings from 2.47.03 will be messed up in 2.47.04
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
After realizing how annoying Testlund's last suggestion was, I have decided to take some UI stuff back out. So settings in 2.47.04 will not work from 2.47.03. If you are using 2.47.02 or earlier you will be able to transition fine.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Settings from 2.47.03 will be messed up in 2.47.04
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
Wait! What's that? About the chloroplasts? Please read my last response in that thread! I didn't understand how it worked at first, unless others thinks there is something that needs to change with it.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
Ok, so I am going to give Testlunds idea another shot. Basically this is what is going on:

It is more annoying to have "Display shot impacts" and "Display Resource Guadges" save.
But it less annoying to have "Display vision grid" and "Display movement vectors" save.

Found that out by trial and error.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
I prefer to always have it set like in the picture.

So my idea was simply to add the rest of the things that doesn't save when you quit DB so one doesn't have to keep checking through the settings if everything I want is where I want it.

Don't take this as criticism. I simply suggested that it would be nice if every settings you make gets saved, that's all.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
My point was that there will be great confusion if something like "Display Resource Guadges" was deselected by the user and the user forgot about it. (Like me) So when the user goes back to a simulation he thinks his robots are not getting any chloroplasts. Then the user gets angry thinking the code is messed up for whatever reason. That's all.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
I am planning to reorganize that menu and add a separator, the stuff above the sep. will get saved, the rest  will not.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »
I am planning to reorganize that menu and add a separator...

STOP! I'm starting to regret that I even mensioned this... Let's stop and think for a moment here...

I think you've done a great job adding fixes that used to annoy me, like some things you set are not saved, so you have to keep going through the GUI to check if those boxes still have that check mark, if those slider positions are at the same spot where you set it.

So what I mean is there are still a few things that don't get saved, for example what I mensioned above. So I was thinking if you might be willing to add those last ones too to be saved when you quit DB. You just through those ones too into the save rutine or however it works.

In my opinion if someone set things that they later gets annoyed about they can suit themselves IMO, but you should always have control over how you set up your simulation. You click it and set it and it stays put until you change your mind about it.

Does this seem far fetched to you. You're the programmer! It's up to you if you want to listen to suggestions. That's all what I'm saying.

Everything else is perfect! This program is shining bright!  :D OK, I've expressed my opinion and will leave it at that and let others decide. Over and out.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
Yes, I was actually considering doing that last year "make all user settings savable" etc.
Then I ran into a situation I discuss above, quote:
My point was that there will be great confusion if something like "Display Resource Guadges" was deselected by the user and the user forgot about it. (Like me)
Just difference of opinion there, that's all  :P

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
If I find settings that are worth saving, I shore as hell will.  :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
you should always have control over how you set up your simulation

On a final note on this subject, what you are talking about has nothing to do with a simulation. It is a pure UI element.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
If I may add another point of view...in my humble opinon of course.

It's far more annoying to see a bunch of blinking arrows and vision lines/rectangles around the bot than resource gaudges, because with resource gaudges you can always pretend it's the bots intestines doing it's metabolism, pretty much what you would see if you look at a unicellar life form in a microscope devouring something.

Also I guess people would be more interested in monitoring resource gaudges to see that the bot is functioning as intended, and you would immediately see if a bots DNA has suddenly changed it's metabolism. So that's why I always have those on.

In my humble opinion! My humble opinion!  :D

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
On a final note on this subject, what you are talking about has nothing to do with a simulation. It is a pure UI element.

Yes! Minor things. Some final touches when all important work has been done.  :)

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
You know, after thinking about it, you are right. If you have memory problems you should not run db in the first place and find a better hubby.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »
[Bump]

Guess all important work is still not done, just found a real ugly bug running sea snake. I wonder if it is a result of the new "kill MB" logic where a robot is killed if not MB for a given amount of time.

Other then than that, sea snake is evolving nicely. It ended up forming a 3 cell caterpillar that uses wiggly swim motion, caterpillar motion, and normal .up commands to move extremely fast when searching for a new food source. It also tends to reorganize itself really quickly if it finds a cancerous body part.

Offline spork22

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »
Perhaps we could see it's DNA? I'm interested in something like a three-bot caterpillar.
Hubba Jubba Lollywash!