Author Topic: Darwinbots being freezin'Frozen!  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Darwinbots being freezin'Frozen!
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »
Ok, so this is a little bug I found running my local internet mode with two instances. At first it was up to 30 seconds delay between each time the seconds timer fired off, which is kinda suckish until you consider that my comp. is rather old, so I let that one go. But then the damn thing completely locked up on me when I returned to check on it in the morning.

So I have been trying to recreate this for the past hour with no results. Next time it happens, I am just going to shove the dam safe mode autosave file directly into vb6. Hope that finds it!

Offline spork22

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: Darwinbots being freezin'Frozen!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
I have yet to try Internet Mode...
Hubba Jubba Lollywash!

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
Still trying to track it down. I got a copy of a profiler that Numsgil recommended configured on win7. The tool is awesome. Learn from the master! But now in alignment to Mephy's law I can not recreate it. I even tried loading an autosave directly in vb, I can not recreate it from there either. I guess it is a rather rear bug.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
Even if I get a good profile, I still have no idea what numbers I am working with. So I have decided to abandon that and make a fix based on what I thought it was. Crossing fingers now!

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:24:37 AM »
Ok, so this is a little bug I found running my local internet mode with two instances.

I've been having the same problem a couple of days running two instances. It's always Instance A that freezes. I've also gotten BSOD a couple of times. Can't seem to reproduce it in Safe Mode.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
Which OS?
In XP any BSOD I got was mainly due to (video card) driver issues.
In win 7/8 only due to hardware issues(loose ram/sata connections).
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »
It's in Win XP. It's extremely rare for me to have BSOD. It's possible my laptop is beginning to fail.

I've been running two sims connected with teleporters the whole day where one of them is running in Safe Mode. No more issues yet.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Related:

Every time I go on the "new" google maps I get BSODed.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
Update:

Correcting the bug by "multiplicationaly deamplifying" (take the square root and then change the multiplier) the cycle limit on mutations, works boss now.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
For the people who care:

More specifically, by "cycle limit" I did not mean db cycles, I mean the iterations that cause robots to mutate.

I am really feeling that the day of the final revision to db2 is getting close.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Update:

Correcting the bug by "multiplicationaly deamplifying" (take the square root and then change the multiplier) the cycle limit on mutations, works boss now.

So you're saying it IS a bug that you've discovered? Still no issues for me yet. When I run Safe Mode it likes to play in harmony for some reason.

I am really feeling that the day of the final revision to db2 is getting close.

I've been thinking that DB2 is pretty close to be considered finished too. There are only a few things I've been thinking could be adjusted, but they are minor issues so I haven't thought it worth mentioning yet.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
So you're saying it IS a bug that you've discovered? Still no issues for me yet. When I run Safe Mode it likes to play in harmony for some reason.

Yes. It is a very rare occurring but a very annoying bug that I finally (think) I tracked down. I discover bugs myself once in a while, but only go public with them if I can not fix one within a day or two.  :)

There are only a few things I've been thinking could be adjusted, but they are minor issues so I haven't thought it worth mentioning yet.

I hope it is not anything that will effect the results of my experiments, such as change vegy mass, etc. Because I do not really want to restart each one from state zero. That happened once to me before when we moved to v2.45, one of the reasons I wanted control over the project.

Please do not take it like I am a control freak, I am going to (try) to make all research public. Only at what cost and at what benefit. I am still working on that last bit.  :P

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
It is still happening  :( On the "+" side, it seems to be more manageable and happen less often. I am cool with that. Lets hope it does not get worse.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
Yes. It is a very rare occurring but a very annoying bug that I finally (think) I tracked down.

Good news! I was worried this might be a difficult issue to figure out. The simulations on my laptop are still running fine, one in Safe Mode.

I hope it is not anything that will effect the results of my experiments...

No, just some minor things like not everything you set is saved when you quit DB and that sort of things. I like to have "Show Vision Grid" and "Display Movement Vectors" disabled, but it doesn't remember that.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »
It is still happening  :( On the "+" side, it seems to be more manageable and happen less often. I am cool with that. Lets hope it does not get worse.

As long as it's caused by DB code I'm sure you can fix it.  :)