Author Topic: Thrive project  (Read 2981 times)

Offline NotLegalTender

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Thrive project
« on: April 12, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »
This project is trying to create a game that Spore would've been. Is anyone willing to check it out?

http://thrivegame.forum-free.ca/forum

Offline JRaccoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Thrive project
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
A quick look at the wiki and I had difficulty telling the difference between the high level descriptions of Thrive and Spore. I remember some early footage of the Spore development and it seemed to have so much promise. One of the most intriguing ideas was "verb creation" where your creature could learn a small set of skills and combine them in ways not explicitly defined by its genetic structure. A specific example was bite + move = drag; you would bite an object or dead enemy and move to drag it behind you perhaps to your nest.

As the game moved closer to release, it lost any of this complexity and instead focused more on the aesthetic unit and building creators. When you say that Thrive is trying to create a game that Spore would have been, I'd love to know what exactly it's adding/removing/changing to improve on the concept of Spore. Obviously being open source is a plus but I doubt that's the extent of it.

Maybe there's some information that I skipped over in my browsing.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Thrive project
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
Agree with JRaccoon, what do they want exactly. Spore was over-hyped, but a decent game if you subtract they hype.
The issue of spore was that they promised a lot in one game, it was too much and they had to compromise to fit it in, in the end it was just not it. I think Thrive underestimates the effort required to make such a game.

Also, I wonder why they use a free forum for it. Seems amateurish for a project with this ambition. Now the forum loads properly, but earlier it loaded pages really slow. Even received timeouts.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.