Author Topic: DB looks like it is slowly dying  (Read 9144 times)

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
DB looks like it is slowly dying
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
From what I see in the forum, all the major members have gone AWOL and  not so many new people are coming in- we MUST share DB mainstreme before we go the way of Evolve4. Any ideas?

I'm making a website with Weebly- I can't get a free domain, and Weebly hosts sites- I once had a website creator which offered a large choice of hosts, but I can't find it... I might also create a Facebook page.
To być albo nie być, oto jest ze pytanie

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: DB looks like it is slowly dying
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
I don't know really. Are there big alive forums/sites where DB can be promoted?

What do you plan to do with a domain/weebly? .tk domains are free I suppose.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
OOH. Better find meself a .tk. Heh heh heh

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
I got one! www.darwinbots.tk

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
all the major members have gone AWOL

Who do you consider major members?

Most people are not posting right now because they have nothing new to share.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:34 AM »
This is pretty much the level of activity we've always had.  As old members move on to other things new ones come in.

Offline FadingMist

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
Hi. I'm 'new' here. I have get know about DB year ago. But only after passed year I remembered about this sim.
P.S. I from Russia, so bear with my accent.

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
It's ok, Botsareus's is waaaaaay worse  :D

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
 >:D

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:55:48 AM »
I'm not completely AWOL.
But wasn't that much happening in the leagues, IM went down at some point, my evo sims stagnated...
Figured I would wait for DB3.

One thing though.
I originally found DB because I had tried gun tactix, where you write some code for little robots shooting each-other, and I was wondering if there was other good programming games out there.
I found a listing that mentioned DB and said it was actually a programming game but an A life simulator, however the leagues allowed for programming battles.
And I was very surprised to find this lost gem. The programming game part of DB is way more interesting than the other games I've tried. The way poison, venom, viruses and replication and all that works. It makes for endless possibilities, whereas robot fighting games are very basic and straight forward.

Basically, what I say is, look at these listings out there:
(Taken from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_game)

- This is the first link on wikipedia to a place listing programming games, and DB is not on the list. (There is a button allowing you to add it to the list though. I could add it, but maybe someone else can write a better description, but keep in mind this is with programming games in mind, so focus on the leagues and how DB is so different from the regular (booring) programming games.)
http://programminggames.org/AllPages.aspx

- This is the second link on wikipedia, but the site is very hard to navigate. Also could not find DB in there anywhere, but then again could hardly find my way anywhere.
http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Simulation/Programming_Games/

- The third link on wikipedia actually has DB, but it's pointing to an old page (http://digilander.libero.it/darwinbots/dwienglish.html):
http://www.aiforge.net/game-links.htm (Just ctrl+F and type darwin)

- We are actually listed on wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_organism_simulators#Notable_simulators
(However there is no link to the new site or the forum, and not even a description (Red link))

- Also one more list, not as extensive, but may be possible to submit DB:
http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=6653

So basically if we want some more trafic I would start by adding a description with a link to the forum instead of the red link on wikipedia.
(And make sure to tag it as a Programming Game as well as an ALife, to make sure it'll show up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Programming_games)
Then I would submit DB as a programming game on the listings where we're not mentioned (If possible with a description of why DB is such a great programming game)
And for the ones with old or broken links it may be possible to submit a request to update it.

That might help start things up a bit. I mean currently it's like we don't exist.

Another thing could be just adding a blog about alternative programming games, and mention DB among them (As the best one of course), and maybe encourage others to list their favorite programming games. And then add a reference to that blog from the main wiki page on programming games.
Maybe even add a part directly in the wiki page, mentioning that sometimes even ALife simulation games can serve as great programming games, such as the leagues in Darwin Bots (Linking to the description of DrawinBots on wikipedia).

Basically there's a LOT we could do to increase traffic here. Can't guarantee it'll work, but won't know unless we try. (Who knows, we may even get more people who want to help with DB3)

I suspect someone more "official" and with better writing skills may want to do these things. But if not then I'll volunteer to do the things listed above. (Let me know)

Also while on the topic, might be worth checking out this other post concerning ease of getting started with the leagues:
(Currently I can't get them to work actually, but may be doing something wrong)
http://forum.darwinbots.com/index.php/topic,1755.0.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:03:21 AM by Moonfisher »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
suspect someone more "official" and with better writing skills may want to do these things.

I suspect i do not fit both categories. At least, according to moonfisher. After pouring my heart and sol into this project for two years.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:36:20 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
You're the main coder of DB2, can't get much more official.
...your writing skills on the other hand.

Lets add DB as programming game when leagues can be run very easily. (ie. it works immediately out of the box.) There's been a lack of new league bots and the new chloroplasts opens up possibilities for new league contenders. (what are chloroplast settings in F1?)

Stuff like league bots should be added at install(and league folder structure?). Running a league should be as easy as running a sim.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
(ie. it works immediately out of the box.)

They do, no one tested them yet...

Stuff like league bots should be added at install(and league folder structure?)

It is pointless to keep updating the install with all current league robots, as there is more then 600 and new robots are added all the time.
There is no 'league folder structure.' All you have to do is put the bots into a folder of your choice, and put that path into global settings. The path defaults to "C:\" so if you put your robots directly on the C: drive it will work fine.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
(what are chloroplast settings in F1?)

The settings are the same as they where before chloroplasts, I just multiply by 2 to correct for vegys starting up with zero. All these settings are already build in. I even added disqualification rules which the program was clearly lagging. Should make it easyer to figure out if a robot really belongs to a specific league but not fool prof.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
Ah, ok. Had the old system in mind. Actually liked the semi hard coded folders. And I don't think it's pointless to renew league bots at new drops, but that's me. (ofc. not all 600 bots are necessarily)

How much nrg do the chloroplasts in league mode get? Default setting?