Poll

Should I add a feature to load robots in with chlroplasts for stuff like virus evolution?

Hell no
Yes, only for repopulating robots
Yes, for both repopulating and non-repopulating robots
Yes, let me choose if I want just repopulating robots

Author Topic: Poll: loading robots (new sim) with chlroplasts  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Poll: loading robots (new sim) with chlroplasts
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »
I know I brought this up before and the vote was pretty much "No metadata." But this is a little different. Let me know what you guys think. If this thing is a go we also solve the "Vegys spamming all over the place" problem pretty effectively.

Offline PhiNotPi

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: loading robots (new sim) with chlroplasts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
I agree that it should be possible for robots to spawn with some chloroplasts already in place.  My main motivation would be my viral-evolution sims.  In these sims, I have a host species whose only function is to contain the virus.   I've used 2.45.03B (which has no chloroplasts), so I don't have to worry about keeping the hosts alive. 

In general, I think this feature will make certain things simpler.  It allows me to give my robots free food, no questions asked.  Also, it allows veggies with no chloroplast genes to be functional, giving some limited backwards-compatibility.  Also, make sure that chloroplasts are given anytime a robot is spawned from nothing (like during repopulation events).

I think this feature should be off by default, because its main applications are somewhat special-case.
I am biased neither towards nor against any single mathematical constant.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
So far I added for repopulating robots only, I will expend it later based on how the vote goes. It is completely optional with default value being zero.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
I couldn't decide what to vote for here.

Personally I've found that the way it works right now is great when starting with zerobots and shepard bots. I prefer that bots must have a gene to produce chloroplasts, not automatically being given that from the start.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
Vegys spamming all over the place" problem pretty effectively.
You may have explained it to me before, but why isn't re spawning based on the amount of bots. Ignoring the chloroplasts for re spawning.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
The simple fact that if a robot evolves there own chloroplasts I want the system to force them to keep the feature.

Personally I've found that the way it works right now is great when starting with zerobots and shepard bots. I prefer that bots must have a gene to produce chloroplasts, not automatically being given that from the start.

Feature is completely optional, let me point out again. Sounds like I am going with option 2 as some people are totaly agents the idea.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:39:58 PM by Botsareus »