Author Topic: Breaking news: Internet Mode horrible, non-functional  (Read 17649 times)

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking news: Internet Mode horrible, non-functional
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:08 AM »
You'll need to be careful to make sure that DB is done writing to a file before you send it to the internet.  Likewise, you'll want to make sure DB can't see a file until you're done writing it from the internet.  The second one is the hardest.  Maybe if DB refused to read a file until/unless the readonly flag was set?
Second one seems to be the case. Does db check on .dbo files? I could give a different extension and change that at the end.

ps: server now offline
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:43:26 AM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 02:45:49 AM »
A different extension would probably work.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »
Some ideas:

1.)

You'll need to be careful to make sure that DB is done writing to a file before you send it to the internet.  Likewise, you'll want to make sure DB can't see a file until you're done writing it from the internet.  The second one is the hardest.  Maybe if DB refused to read a file until/unless the readonly flag was set?

Second one seems to be the case. Does db check on .dbo files? I could give a different extension and change that at the end.

I think we need another feature that moves the files from Peters (inbound, outbound) folders to internet modes (in, out) folders (set by DB in the settings, user choice)

This way:

A.) It should be as good as changing the file extension (which is brilliant idea nonetheless)
B.) People who use Internet mode by actually clicking the Internet mode button will be happy.

2.)

I can tell vb6 to ignore a dbo file that is very large, that should prevent weird organisms.
Does a file get deleted server side after it is transferred? I do not want his kind of files sticking around to prevent transferring them more the one time.

3.)

I think we need to setup a testing schedule. I am in US eastern time. Also, I would love to see the source code for this thing. Both server side, and client side. Maybe I can learn something.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:31:48 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
(Local IM mode before I fixed it)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:29:50 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
---------------------------
DarwinBots
Non dbo file AbsoluteZero (3G)(viplex)-07.25.05.txtfound in C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\51 robots - Copy.  Inbound Teleporter Deleted.
OK   

Sorry, currently not configured to work :/

I am going to go ahead and mod my local IM code. Done.

Peter, please use the following exe when debugging with db2 from now on (if you choose to do so)

Are we cool?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:34:15 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
Curious DB2 doesn't crash with the malformed bots.

An Error Occurred. Darwinbots cannot continue. Sorry. Subscript out of range DarwinBots 9 0.

DB is supposed to abort loading an organism if the file is corrupt.

2. Miscommunication in filesize, bots are capped at 10kb. Curious DB2 doesn't crash with the malformed bots.

The error is more interesting, I have no idea yet what is the cause. But I will run DB from source code with IM and try to track it down. The only thing we can fix for now is check for a file size.

Peter, it will be even better if you actually put the file size cap back on your side. But instead of attempting to transfer half a file, ignore and delete the file completely.

How big the size limit should be is still up for debate.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:50:31 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
Some ideas:

1.)
I think we need another feature that moves the files from Peters (inbound, outbound) folders to internet modes (in, out) folders (set by DB in the settings, user choice)
Not sure if I get this. (inbound/outbound are the default IM folders in DB2, are they?)
Dubbing IM, PeterIM to avoid confusion.

A: DB2 IM user setting location
B: DB2 PeterIM client location
C: Server

A<-><-B-><->C
Is the role of that new DarwinbotsIM to move files between A to B?
With user config you need a second place to store bots, while keeping this location. The point of user config would be to not have any bots at that location, or am I mistaken?
If you need user configuration of folders, I guess it's necessarily to startup PeterIM with parameters or use named pipes to communicate.

This way:

A.) It should be as good as changing the file extension (which is brilliant idea nonetheless)
B.) People who use Internet mode by actually clicking the Internet mode button will be happy.
I start IM by clicking the internet button. Then I exit the IM application that pop ups.
2.)
I can tell vb6 to ignore a dbo file that is very large, that should prevent weird organisms.
Does a file get deleted server side after it is transferred? I do not want his kind of files sticking around to prevent transferring them more the one time.
Actually the current server doesn't delete it, mostly for debugging purposes. Current server is filled with 1372 organisms. After a restart the numbering starts again, first ten bots are from a earlier run then it overwrites anything that's on the server. Unless it restarts it won't send old bots, though. And then only ten old ones at the start.

3.)

I think we need to setup a testing schedule. I am in US eastern time. Also, I would love to see the source code for this thing. Both server side, and client side. Maybe I can learn something.
When it works I'll hand it to you. When you see it, you'll think that's quite simple.

What does  the new DarwinbotsIM.exe do?

10kb isn't a weird filesize for organisms, is it?

Edit: client now with different extension when writing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:37:55 PM by Peter »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
I start IM by clicking the internet button. Then I exit the IM application that pop ups.

What does  the new DarwinbotsIM.exe do?

All IM ever did was simply move files around. Can be useful to trick vb6 to make sure it is not trying to access a file that is used by another process simply by letting vb6 see the file only after it is moved. Imo, should be the same as changing file type without making vb6 ignore files of specific type.

(inbound/outbound are the default IM folders in DB2, are they?)

The defaults are 'in' , 'out' I think. But the point is, a user can change them, then it is all screwed up. At-least current design.

10kb isn't a weird filesize for organisms, is it?

That is a hard question to answer. At what point is an organism too big? 100kb?

A<-><-B-><->C
Is the role of that new DarwinbotsIM to move files between A to B?
With user config you need a second place to store bots, while keeping this location. The point of user config would be to not have any bots at that location, or am I mistaken?
If you need user configuration of folders, I guess it's necessarily to startup PeterIM with parameters or use named pipes to communicate.

Yes correct, the simple way is to have it except command line that is already in place. The command line reads

Code: [Select]
''-in "C:\in" -out "C:\out" -name Newbie 5676 -pid  4404
I have no idea about python support of command line.

Also, if we use your approach instead of what I propose above. I'll have to go mod the IM teleporters to ignore a file type.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
P.S. I guess in proper programming jargon "command line" means "parameters"  :P

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
Certainly python supports arguments!

Oh shoot. I hoped that IM actually was working...  :O
Gonna clarify on how the simple IM should work.

Server keeps a record of ten files. (more on disk, but these are ignored)

Client connects, for each file it sends it gets the oldest in the list back. It goes to a max of 10 send/received, then it disconnects.

When you connect you shouldn't get back files you send at the same connection. If no one connects before your next connection you'll receive the bots you send the time before.

If the server is empty(no clients)and you're the only client. First it gives you 10 bots from the last leaver, after that it just fills your inbound with your outbound.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
I am making an educated guess that peter hates my idea.

Peter what extension did you use so I can instruct db to ignore it? I am also guessing that it changes to a normal extension when done.

Also, when I add this whole thing to the NSIS package drop, do I have to include all your files in teh zip? Will it work?

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
Certainly python supports arguments!

Awesome, I gave you the argument list, can you play with it?

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
What should I do with pid?

Edit:
DB2 does detect it when it's not a .dbo file, but gives a 'continues', (click ok it reappear) pop up that says it deletes it, but doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:09:36 PM by Peter »

Offline PhiNotPi

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
This is somewhat unrelated, but I think that IM should have some sort of Robot Cache.  When I am the only person running the program, then it seems like my robots get simply teleported out and then immediately back in.  Instead, it should keep a couple of the bots in a holding area.  That way, when I leave and someone like MysticalDumpling comes online, there are a few of my bots which can be sent to his sim even if I am not online.  Likewise, I could come online later and receive some of his bots.
I am biased neither towards nor against any single mathematical constant.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »
This is somewhat unrelated, but I think that IM should have some sort of Robot Cache.  When I am the only person running the program, then it seems like my robots get simply teleported out and then immediately back in.  Instead, it should keep a couple of the bots in a holding area.  That way, when I leave and someone like MysticalDumpling comes online, there are a few of my bots which can be sent to his sim even if I am not online.  Likewise, I could come online later and receive some of his bots.
You're right. I'll add that, at the least block I'll block the ability to receive your own bots. That's just silly.