Author Topic: Missing people  (Read 6868 times)

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Missing people
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
Hello everyone, new to this stuff, but I learn quickly if i want to, question is... What happened to PurpleYouko, because when i look into his profile, he was last been active in 2008. Also, does anyone know what happened to 3DVCE creator Lee Graham? I'm thankfull for any information, and i hope i will learn something from DB.
Btw, i could transilate wiki to Lithuanian, not that it is a big country or anything, but i'd love to help in any way i can.
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Missing people
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
PY isn't active in the community anymore.  He's presumably moved on to other things.

I don't think anyone here knows about 3DVCE to be honest.  I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
i have it. it is no longer active but there is a vid that gives you a link to it but i will just give you the direct url to download it from.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s71k1ri6xo28qri/3D_Creature_Evolution.zip

have fun :D

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »
Well, I didnt know about DB when i was using 3DVCE  :P , but nevermind, its a fitness based evolutionary algorithm, honestly its more interesting to look at then DB, but its code isint as deep, so you wont see any smart things that you can see in DB. Idea just popped up, DB doesnt support multiple cores?then why not run as many .exe as there are cores in your CPU, and then set each .exe to a different core? its that simple, or is there a deeper problem?
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
it uses the first avalible core then doubles up and so on.

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »
Ok, I remember Numsgil mentioned making a big server for DB, thinking why not make DB a BOINC project? People would connect their computers to to special server, and would share their PC power. That would be a supercomputer, and i would bet, DB would not only run real time, but also mabie faster, just an idea
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »
Well, I didnt know about DB when i was using 3DVCE  :P , but nevermind, its a fitness based evolutionary algorithm, honestly its more interesting to look at then DB, but its code isint as deep, so you wont see any smart things that you can see in DB. Idea just popped up, DB doesnt support multiple cores?then why not run as many .exe as there are cores in your CPU, and then set each .exe to a different core? its that simple, or is there a deeper problem?
That's possible and some do it, with the sims combined with bot teleporters.

Ok, I remember Numsgil mentioned making a big server for DB, thinking why not make DB a BOINC project? People would connect their computers to to special server, and would share their PC power. That would be a supercomputer, and i would bet, DB would not only run real time, but also mabie faster, just an idea
Seems like IM(Internet mode) to me, or do you mean something different?
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »
BOINC combines thousands of PC into one giant web based supercomputer to run a certain task, e.g DB
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »
Btw what is bot teleporter?
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »
First a point: DB2 (vb6 based) can not multi-thread. Therefor, you can not scale up the performance of a single simulation by adding more cores.

Teleporters (as the name implies) let you share robots between running simulations. The idea of IM is to be able to share robots across the internet with all other simulations connected through the internet therefor making one huge complex super simulation.

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »
Yes, I know you cannot just add cores to a single simulation, but I mean if you started lets say 4 DB simulations at once, and you have 4 cores CPU, why not set every DB exe to their affinity in task manager? every simulation would run normaly, but instead of doing just one you would do 4 different sim, and if i don't understand something, just say it, im still a newb
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
Running 4 times DB indeed means it can use 4 cores.

No need to even set affinity to get it to work. It'll work fine without setting it.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
Oh, it does? Well thanks for the heads up Peter
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »
Yea, you just need a way to share the robots between the simulations...

Offline MonteCristo

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
And before i go to sleep, wanted to ask: whats the progress on DB3? how much % of its done?
Evolution - Body
Revolution - Mind