Author Topic: Software certifications  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Software certifications
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
What is the general opinion about software certification. What kind of certificates are good/bad, or do you think all of them are useless.

I'm asking because I'm thinking to get a certificate. I'm curious if there are any that would be handy. I'm asking because I've some mixed feelings about certificates in general, I'm not sure certification equals competence. If it means much at all. If possible I rather not get a certificate just for the sake to get a certificate.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Software certifications
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »
I don't know about the software industry at large, but in the video game industry specifically it's entirely a non-factor.  Instead they usually have you do various programming tasks as part of the interview process.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
I have a crappy local IT school certificate. However, because I was done with all my work half way through the course. My instructor recommended I dive into some MCPD stuff. (Microsoft Certified Professional Developer, it is called something different now) Although I totally flunked the test I learned a lot of interesting stuff about the new visual studio (back then it was VS2010) Microsoft provides training books on there exams. You will learn a lot but there is no guarantee that you will pass the test.

edit: My last employer just sat down with me in a meeting room, and asked me what I know. I showed him my propeller simulation (one of my side projects that draws different blade size 2D propellers with variable amounts of blades) and the interview was pretty much over.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:21:02 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
I was looking at those microsoft certificates. They seem to carry some weight.
Does Microsoft provide books if you book a exam or do you mean there are books available you can buy?
Any specific microsoft certificate suggestions?
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
You have to buy your own books.

As far as the order to study them. Not really sure. My instructor recommended I take the 70-536 Application Development Foundation first. I only had enough time to memorize every page of that book and I flunked the test for it anyway.

I did some digging for you.
Look into MCSD 483
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:01:59 AM by Botsareus »