Author Topic: Starting evosims  (Read 3869 times)

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
Starting evosims
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:02 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm having trouble getting an evosim to kick off. First I set the mutation rate to x1/32, and after about 5 and a half million cycles, the zerobots I had put in changed colour, but they just sat there. In fact, even the Algae Minimalis that I put in had mutated beyond reason! So, I decided to start afresh. This time I set the mutation rate to x1/2, reduced veggies and increased zerobots. Still nothing happens! Please help!

Sly
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Starting evosims
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
If you're starting from zerobots it can take a very long time to get anything happening.

Until they start reproducing, you're relying entirely on point mutations.  It might make sense to jack those up until the DNA of the bots is sufficiently randomized that they start doing stuff, even if it's stupid.  Then take one and use it as the seed for a new sim.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
Or, you can use my sunline stuff but then you get repeated mutation rate fluctuation, so may not be a very good idea.
Numsgil, All I am trying to accomplish is have self sustained evolution process with no interaction from the user.
I pretty much have it in the bag with evolving robots for F1.  :P (atleast the last time I checked for my mod of 2.44)

I would love to explore further developing a system like that for zerobots, that is what I was messing with before you gave me control of the project.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:27:03 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
Sly, more on Numsgils point. You will have to use restarts, you will not be able to get away from that until it is automated.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Restarts are like cheating though... :/ What I'm saying is that it would be awesome if I just set up a new simulation, forget about it for a week, come back and find a self sufficient and constantly evolving ecosystem. I set up a new one, one that doesn't give much energy per cycle to bots but allows a large veggie population and put Animal Minimalis in. It also has a fair few shapes to make things interesting too. Problem is that the bots ran out of targets to kill and now they are just spinning endlessly. :| I really don't want to really on point mutations for my little guys to evolve into something interesting.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »
What I'm saying is that it would be awesome if I just set up a new simulation, forget about it for a week,

Dude, that is exactly what I am working on. I am still using restarts but the software will restart itself. edit: Zipo interaction from the user.

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »
Awesome! I look forward to it.