Author Topic: Are veggy population limits broken?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline PhiNotPi

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Are veggy population limits broken?
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
I think that veggy population limits have been changed since the introduction of chloroplasts.  I'm not sure of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it works differently.  Anyways, it does not seem to be functional when I used the option to automatically give veggies some chloroplasts at birth.

I think that the following settings are the relevant ones:

• Robots: Alga_minimalis (the original version without chloroplasts).  Set as repopulating.  5 individuals with 3000 energy.
  • Global settings: Start Repopulating Robots with 5000 Chloroplasts  (you may have to restart DB for this to take effect)
  • General settings:  40 NRG per veggy per cycle.  The four numbers in "rates for average repopulation" are set to 25, 10, 10, and 25.

Now, you should be able to run the simulation and see how the veggies are allowed to reproduce without bounds.  Even though the population limit is set to 25, there will soon be many hundreds of veggies.  Also, something else to point out is that the little "chlr" number at the bottom of the screen, which I assume is meant to measure the number of chloroplasts, never climbs above 11.  You can click on the individual robots to see that each has hundreds of chloroplasts.
I am biased neither towards nor against any single mathematical constant.

Offline MysticalDumpling

• Bot Destroyer
  • Kurwa chuj!
    • View Profile
Re: Are veggy population limits broken?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
I find this too... it's quite annoying.  :dry:
To być albo nie być, oto jest ze pytanie

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
PhiNotPi, the rules are correct.

Here is what is happening:

1.) The alga is not allowed to make its own chloroplasts.
2.) When the robots load in the total chloroplasts are (5000 * 5) = 25000 --> 25000 / 16000 which is about 2 'avg' chloroplasts
3.) The system keeps repopulating until the 'repopulation threshold avg vegys' is above 10 (as defined by your settings)

The key point here is that 'average vegys' does not actually mean 'population' anymore. It means the amount of chloroplasts on the screen.
The only thing I can think of doing is choosing better names for these settings:

Rates for Average Repopulation
Maximum number avg. vegys.
Repopulation threshold average vegys.

It is a little confusing for new users to understand that we are dealing with chloroplasts here, not actual population.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
edited post above...

Offline PhiNotPi

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure that I understand what is going on, but I do agree that we need to update the names of the settings.  To be honest, the current way of naming these settings is completely outdated with the addition of chloroplasts.

For example, "40 NRG veggy per cycle" no longer means "giving 40 nrg to each veggie every cycle."  I think we should rename it to something more descriptive.

Also, what is the logic behind dividing by 16000 to get "avg chloroplasts"?

I am biased neither towards nor against any single mathematical constant.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »
Think of some names, I'll implement them.
The simple fact that 16K is average
Code: [Select]
( 0 + 32K) / 2  ;)