Author Topic: Overflow error  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Overflow error
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
I'm getting some errors with overflow and complete freeze-ups where I can't do the debug steps. So I just send you a bunch of files here. It should be 100% repeatable though, cause I keep getting it after I've started a new sim.

I'm also seeing some weird bot behavior where a bot will cycle through the colors like it's having a club night or something. Hehe.

The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Overflow error
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
Have you changed the default values for Mutation rates? When I click the default button I get different values for different bots, some as high as 90214!

Offline Shadowgod2

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »
it's basted on the dna length. to disable it go into the global set and in the sun mutation uncheck the normalize mutations. this should make the default to 5000 again. i recommend 80 and 1000 though for it makes for faster evolution and keeps from dragging it on till the next mutation

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I'm ok with high numbers though. I have my favorite numbers I like to use, then I adjust the slider on the Mutations tab depending on the type of bots, all the way to the left for designed bots and all the way to the right for zero-/randombots in the beginning of the sim.

But now I'm just beta testing so I have set all mutations to default values.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Found some stuff, when mutation rates change liner there are floor to 1
But what happens if mutations where off ( < 1) to begin with? They where being set to 1 and the robot was pretty much getting nuked.

Fix in next version drop.

I am currently investigating a processing leak.

Here is pretty much what is happening:

One robot went from having ~1000 dna length to ~5000.

This robot attempts to mate sexually. From that we can infer two things:

1.) The robot will take more then 1 minute on decent hardware to recombine the resulting dna.
2.) The robot then will figure out that the dna is too different and abort reproduction. But during the next cycle it will try the same thing again.

This will cause the program to run about 5 minutes per cycle which is total unacceptable.

Here are my possible hacks to achieve a solution, if anyone has any better ideas I would love to hear them:

• Make a sexual crossover terminate automatically after 32 seconds even if it is not complete
  • If the crossover was unsuccessful the robot must wait 16 cycles before attempting to reproduce again

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:52:40 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
[Bump]

Big version drop in two days.

Offline rwill128

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:49:35 PM »
Cool!

I've had similar problems in some of my sims, where the robot DNA just totally blows up and the sim slows to a crawl. It happens because of sexual reproduction, as you mentioned.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »
It will still lag a little, but not as bad as it used to, at least on my 2.2 core. I think you will reach a point where it lags the same on your machine, however my limit was 1000 dna commands, I suspect yours will be close to 5000.