Author Topic: Re: Collision detection tests  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Collision detection tests
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
... Well, I am going to start work on the leagues at the beginning of the year.  :P

I am still hopeful that at least some of the stuff I developed will make it into DB3, what do you think Numsgil?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:17:58 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Collision detection tests
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
This is kinda getting off topic, but let me clarify further:

My new commands (including debugint and debugbool) and the sex repro (based on your instructions) should be a straight forward port.
There is a bunch of minor stuff, but sounds like N/A.
Finally, I am in the process of porting my big experimental stuff into DB2 (don't worry, it is all optional).

The only way I was able to learn c# was the fact that it is more or less identical to vb.net. I actually have translation logs b/w vb.net and c#. That being said, if it is not some kind of crazy math, (like modeling velocity and rotational velocity of two or more asymmetric 4 point polygons after a collision and considering the fluid turbulence on them at the same time), I think I eventually will help with DB3.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:19 PM »
There's not much in the way of an actual program even, yet, so it doesn't make sense (or is even possible) to pull a lot of the stuff from DB2.  For other things, my plan is to build a more comprehensive system that would make some of your changes moot.  For instance, for DNA debugging my hope is to tie in to an existing IDE (either Visual Studio or an open source one), create a unit testing framework for DNA code, etc.

At the moment I'm concentrating on physics, specifically collision detection.  I outlined in the other thread what I need: basically a bunch of unit tests created so I can test that the code I have is working already.  Helping outside that would be difficult, as there's just not that much currently working that doesn't require specialized knowledge.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
For instance, for DNA debugging my hope is to tie in to an existing IDE (either Visual Studio or an open source one), create a unit testing framework for DNA code, etc.

Sounds cool, how will that work? Also, are you keeping any of my combinational commands such as addstore?

edit: Yea, I know that most of my mods are just due to restrictions of what I am working with. One possibility I want to explore with DB3 is having "organisms" (as they are called in DB2 right now, when you select save whole organism) compete in leagues. But as you say, we are not there yet. So I'll try to leave the issue alone for a while.

modeling velocity and rotational velocity of two or more asymmetric 4 point polygons after a collision and considering the fluid turbulence on them at the same time

Does this pretty much sum up what you are currently working on?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:31:21 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
There's some APIs for Visual Studio that you can use to hook it up to any language.  They're a little obtuse to use, though, so it's a project for later (or someone else).

I haven't really touched DNA in many years.  You can see the state of things more or less  here.  The way the DNA commands are set up it's meant to be as few compound commands as possible natively, as that role is meant to be filled by codules.  I'm hoping to add an Explicit for calling codules later on, which should basically let people write bots with their own custom compound commands.

I'm working on fluid independently from physics.  They'll slot together later.  For physics, it's assumed that everything is following a ballistic trajectory.  ie: like throwing a ball.  Other forces, like fluids, can be added in later