Code center > Darwinbots Program Source Code

No fix for ghost collisions with planet eaters necissary

(1/5) > >>

Botsareus:
Due to the fact that vegys are massive, I no longer see the need to restrict robot collisions where they spring past each other, in most cases the robot settle on the vegys and no weird erratic behavior is observed.

I did however notice a 50% decrease in speed vs running the same simulation on 2.45.01. Probebly due to the whole new chloroplast system. Nothing I can really do about that except maybe get an AMD Bulldozer for my laptop, not happening though, I even dk if my laptop supports it.

Peter:
You got a (new) amd laptop?

Numsgil:
It's probably worth running the program in a profiler and make certain what's actually causing it to run slowly.  Often you'd be surprised by what's taking longer or what's not taking any time at all.  Even with years of experience writing performance critical code I still get my ass handed to me by weird functions that I didn't think would ever bubble up to the top of a performance capture.

Botsareus:
 :blink: I am a little scared actually putting this thing in to sleepy profiler, Due to the sh*t load of code in this program I am afraid it will take me like a month to go trough it all.

Maybe if I have some time later on my tower once I get everything else going on my laptop

That being said,

What am I supposed to look for Numsgil? All I will get back is % of how much each section of code executed. Will I have to compare it vs how 2.45 runs, and start drilling down deeper into the code in places where it looks like it is taking longer then it should?

Numsgil:
It's not % each section is called, it's % each section is taking up in the overall execution time.

See if you can find a tree view for the performance details.  That tells you callstacks, which is useful if all the time is in a vector add method and you need to know what's calling it.

Usually there's like 90% of the program running time in like 10% of the code.  Identifying what's running slow is the first step in fixing it.  Maybe it's something that's easy to fix.  Maybe it's something that's hard.  Either way, you won't know if you don't look.

Yes, profilers are a bit scary to figure out, but if I could figure out how to use a version of VTune from 8 years ago to profile Darwinbots you can use a profiler too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version