Author Topic: I dunno about the wiki  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I dunno about the wiki
« on: October 12, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »
If anyone's clicked on the wiki, or gone to the main website recently (like 20 minutes or so), you may notice something different.

Something on the wiki broke, and I tried to fix it...

Anyway, I have no idea where all the articles are!  What you see now is an error message, but when I move the localsettings file like it asks, it shows a blank slate wiki.  I know enough to know when to stop playing with things.  Someone with more knowledge of databases needs to figure out a way for me to access the old articles.

Until I'm sure I'm not going to touch anything one way or another.  I've really messed up things in the past while learning about computers.  They say a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...  If I've learned anything, it's when I should stop and get someone more knowledgable to salvage the pieces.

It's all black magic to me.  I'm sure they're still in the database at our webspace, but I don't know how to access them, or anything like that.

This is real embaressing.  I hope I didn't lose the pages forever!  I would never live that down!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:33:44 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
I dunno about the wiki
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 02:53:29 AM »
Mediawikki hack attacks

Talks about hack attacks of mediawiki stuff, and talks about how there's at least one worm out there. I'm beginning to think the error messages might be faked somehow. :unsure:

Some of the talks make it seem like the info is recoverable but its hard to tell.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:54:05 AM by Endy »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
I dunno about the wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »
It should be possible to link directly into the SQL database using access and read/modify the records. Maybe that is how hackers do it.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I dunno about the wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 01:19:43 PM »
Okay, it's fixed.  I don't know if it was someone hacking or not.  But if this exact same thing happens again, I know how to fix it.

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
I dunno about the wiki
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44:37 PM »
I knew you couldn't rest until you fingered [sic] it out.
did it in your spare time did you? ;) heheh

well done ...
kudos ...

~griz~
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I dunno about the wiki
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 02:50:15 PM »
Yeah, it bugged me like crazy.  Got me all frustrated.  Couldn't concentrate on studying for my tests.  Had cold sweats, etc.