Author Topic: A new overflow  (Read 2554 times)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A new overflow
« on: June 23, 2005, 09:47:50 AM »
Here is a problem I never expected to get.

On the fourth round of my test run with Carnatus Orbis vs. Carnatus Orbis (with 20 extra eyes), I got a rather incredible overflow error after about 4 hours of running.

Neither species could seem to get any kind of advantage so the contest just went on and on and on.... and on...............and on (yawn)

Eventually it reached 32768 rounds and overflowed the integer contest counter. The wins were still pretty damn near to exactly even for each version of CO.

One reason I picked CO is that the rounds are pretty short for a top ranked tie feeder yet he is still pretty simple using many of the genes directly from HDV4.

I am still not completely satisfied that I have debunked the free energy bug myth as I don't have enough data yet but it is a pretty strong indicator in that direction. I will publish the results once I have 20 full contests.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A new overflow
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
That's incredible.  I've never been able to run a contest longer than 300 rounds.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A new overflow
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:42:26 PM »
That's incredible. I've never been able to run a contest longer than 300 rounds.

YEESH!

I am reaching that many in a few minutes.
With visual output disabled and the robot population never getting above about 100, I get 1000 rounds in about 20 minutes.

My run speed is about 1500 cycles per second.
and those who don't

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A new overflow
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 12:44:03 PM »
I can run the majority of the F1 league in about 15 minutes. Then I get a couple of bots that are so well matched and so well tuned that I get a couple thousand bots at a time and it slows to a crawl as they go to a few hundred rounds to find a winner.
and those who don't